Parking lot clean-ups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys with backpack blowers do parking lot cleanups (blowing only) for stores,banks & businesses,etc. I will be buying a bp blower soon and was wondering if the is a profitable service? Any details will be helpful...

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You really need a push blower for that, a big powerful unit on wheels.
    At least 8 but 10hp and bigger wouldn't hurt, that or a crew of 4-5 or more guys or both.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that and a huge vacuum.... if you do it, better check wind direction before you start. :)

4. Big C

I was talking mostly about small gas staion/convenient store size parking lots.

5. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

it's been my experience the only way to do this w/o creating issues with abutters is with a sweeper (handheld but pref on like a bobcat). you create a friggin sandstorm and people aren't happy.... ha d a guy accuse my of sandblasting his car when i worked for another co.... he was right..... make sure the lot's empty if using blowers.

6. Big C

Yeah...I would wait until night time so that parking lot traffic is at a min. and

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

to be honest its a waist of time and a pain in the ass to do parking lots like this. cars coming in all the time, dust all over, people getting pissed off. i try and schedual a handful of places for the same day go the night before and blow out all the corners of the lots and have a sweeper truck come in and sweep it all up. then i pay the sweeper guy and try and make some money bumping the price for the job. you might not make as much but ill take the hit for not having to bust my ass and get angry.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Can't compete around here. A lot that would take us a half hour to do, a sweeping company will come in and hit it for 25 bucks. These guys literally will come in, run a sweeper for a half hour (that covers ALOT of area with a sweeper), and collect 30 bucks. I have a friend that does it, and keeps a driver busy 40 hours, 5 nights a week. he said it's crazy what these guys are doing it for. On top of that, some of these guys drive up from Detroit area (about an hour) or down from Saginaw to do places.