parking lot cleaning

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clcare2, Mar 2, 2007.

1. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I the been offered the chance to purchase a street sweeper. It isn't a truck but it is a ride on. Has anyone ever tried this service? I was thinking about offering it to my snow customers.

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Maintenance on that thing must be constant.

3. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

all ive heard about sweeping is the maintenance on sweepers is high. but you can make more money in one night then you could dream of in a 24hr period

4. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I don't know much about it. I have been told that parts aren't cheap though. But if I can offset the cost, then I am not to worried. I have a cherry deal worked out with my mechanic.

5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

The ride on ones are very expensive to run and break often. You almost need a mechanic unless it's fairly new.

We're offering parking lot sweeping with a new piece of equipment. It's a pull behind sweeper with and enclosed shell to receive the road debris. The brushes underneath are driven by a 4hp honda. Simple setup with not much to go wrong. You can do the spring cleanup on the lawn and then jump to the parking lot with the same pull behind sweeper...:clapping: A small tractor can pull it and it's about $1900 Canadian...or about $1800 Us. Not much for what could bring in $500 to $800 gross in a 6 hour day.

It will pick up roadchip, rocks etc... from lawns or off the road.

I can't wait to have it to test it...I'll post when I get it.

Another idea you can throw around.:)

6. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

There is a whole lotta money in sweeping lots. Almost all retail outlet's have there lot's swept on a weekly basis. A knew a guy who had a couple grocery stores and all the walgreen pharmacies in my area, he would brag all the time that he could bring in more in one night than i could in a week cutting grass. And i am sure he was right, judging by the size of his belly and the nice personal trucks he drives. Although he had to be out at night when stores were closed and lots were empty. Good luck.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for a sweeper company many years ago and the company made good money doing shopping centers and cleaning up highways after milling and before paving but it was night work and it got old.

8. mwaller98

mwaller98 LawnSite Member

if the money is that good, i'd be willing to stay out 1 or 2 overnights a week. plus this business is probably year round!

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head. A bit of inconvenience to make good money...:rolleyes: I think it's worth it.

10. Southscapes

Southscapes LawnSite Member

Where do you find the pull behind parking lot sweepers?