1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Parking Lot Islands

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rwise10230, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

I've got a commercial account with a HUGE number of islands in the parking lot. Each island is about 4 to 6 feet wide by 30' long. Also, each island has at least 1 tree panted which makes it immposible to take a 36" WB up there. I'm currently using a 21" push mower.

Besides using a string trimmer, any suggestions about how to mow these suckers? It's eating up the clock!
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

why can't you take the 36" up there? How is the tree blocking you?
  3. Rwise10230

The tree width plus the muched area do not provide enough room for the 36" to pass without running off the island. Additionally, most islands have two tress up there compounding the problem.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Use a 21" with a mulching kit, it will minimize blown clippings. Also is easier on/off the islands. Especially if you gotta squeeze between cars. You could use a 36", but its a PITA
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

charge accordingly. sounds like you didn't think of this when you bid. I've done things like that and kick myself after. now i go through it nice and slow and REALLY look around before i give a price.

I'd use the 21" in your case and try and cut it as often as possible to keep it really short, so you can fly through it with the muching plate saving time.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

If they are on a contract, it may be worth while to look into growth regulator.
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Have any of you ever though of doing a test run before biding on a new account that is different than what you have been doing?
    Like with the parking lot island account. If it would have been me I would have took a equipment to the site and did a test run to see what would and would not work before even turning in a bid. On some thing like this you do not know what you can use and how it will work until you try it. It is too late you find out you messed up after you have the account to. I had rather waste a little time doing a test run than bid on and get an account just to find out it is going to be harder than I thought. Now there are going to be a lot of people telling I am "full of mud" or thanking this way but I bet these same people have wished they had know before hand on more than a few accounts.
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that's similar to what i was saying, but rather then testing, just give a thorough looking over.... but same idea. knowing what you're gettinginto before you price.
  9. Rwise10230

Hey ...you folks that were kind enough to repsond and getting into the insinuation that I'm taking a hit on the money because I underbid. .............(actually I'm making my due share on this one)

When I say it's eating up the clock....it is and we knew it would before we bid so the time is in the quote. I'm trying to become more efficient.......that's all.

Really.......thanks for your thoughts!