Parking Lots on Large Commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Popsicle, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

To what extent do you guys blow the parking lots on large commercials? I am bidding my first large (non-residential) project and need to know how much time to allow for the "blow" portion.

2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Very hard to say how long but i just figure like 15 min for blowing 15 min for trimming on a 1 hour commercial lawn. I always have like two guys cut and one guy trim and blow and refuel equipment and any misc things (pick up garbage on lawn and walk to make sure no spots were missed.
    Jason

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it all depends on how large the parking lot...we do a couple of larger parking lots and use 10hp Bill Goat Blowers...they were well worth the money

4. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

If your doing this by contract stipulate that you are only responsible for lawn debris per cut; per visit; otherwise you may end up responsible for blowing the whole lot.My calculatin is for how long it takes to edge/ trim the curb -/ half that time because you still have to walk the same amount of steps.Check and see if you are responsible for trash and such so you don't get burned.

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

the best way to clear debis off a commercial lot is a walkbebind blower expecialy if there is a lot of cars. backpack are just not very effeciant when it comes to cars, u have to try to angle the hose under them and u end up wasting time. plan on 2 passes with a walkbeind blower for the edges of the parking lots then of course however long it will take to do the walks with the backpacks.

Sometimes if there isnt a lot of cars we will just take the dixies in reverse and blow it, it will blow grass from 10' clear over a 6" curb, gotta love double blades.

If you going to be bidding on commercial lots i dont like to nit pick over how long each thing is going to take i just stand back for a second and visualize about how long i know its going to take me and set my price off of that. I find that if i get to technical i will end up over bidding and not getting the job.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

A small lot I would do. But a large one. No way! That's a job for a sweep truck and they sould contract with someone accordingly. Plus you would think people aound here were raised in a barn with their manners. It blows my mind sometimes with the stuff I see thrown out.

I can't see myself out there blowing a rain coat and a pair of panties arcoss a parking lot :eek:

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i wouldnt atempt parking lot cleaning. thats something that would be sub-contracted out if that ever arose in a contract.

got a contract last year for an office complex that had ben pretty neglected over the past 4 years and we were called in to clean it up. needless to say there was grass growwing all over the parking lot so i sent the guys out there with some whips to cut it down before i sprayed it and boy what a freak'n mess. didnt bring the push blower cuz i went with the intention of just doing the shrubs that day and man was i bumming it took about 2 hours just to get all the crap in a pile and anouther half hour to load it into the dumper. If i ever have to do that agian im going to hire a sweeper to come in after i get done

8. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I have no intentions of doing the parking lot sweeping. I will just stipulate in the proposal that I will blow the planters and the sidewalks and that is it. I'm not about to get roped into doing ~2 acres of parking with the Stihl!

Now, if I could just talk a few of you guys into coming out and go over my bids with me...

;)

9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Popsicle;my point exactly.Cover your buns on this because whatever you don't spell out in black & white they may give you the line"well it doesn't say in your bid you wouldn't blow the entire lot off" or the " hey while your here can you do...." so spell it all out.

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Usually I enclude the blowing and trimming in my mowing bid part of the contract. Try your best to keep the grass off of the parking lot as best as possible, mow twice around blowing the grass inward, that should help alot when it comes time to do blowing. Usually i just have to blow along the edges of the parking lot and nothing more cause most of the grass is near the edge.
    Matt