Parking on busy street???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, May 27, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I suppose different cities have different city ordinances....but does anyone know what usually needed to park on a busy street?

I was thinking maybe about 4 or so orange cones used to direct traffic around the vehicle, but was wondering if you have to use some kind of signal light as well. Can anyone shed light upon the subject matter?

Thanks
    Matt

2. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

i use a couple orange cones,, one at the front and one behind my truck.. i am being paid to complete a job so i don't care if passerbys are frustrated and ticked off at my truck and trailor being parked on the street...

3. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen crews park up on the median when they are mowing the strip inbetween streets. I guess get creative and see what the location has available. If all else fails, park in the street haha.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Some areas require a sign posted up the road to warn drivers that there is work ahead and be cautious.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

No median to park on. I usually park across the street on a side street. I have to drive my Z across 4 lanes with my trimmer and edger. When finished I drive back to the truck, grab my 21" mower (for the backyard) and my blower and back across the street I go. I think by parking on the busy street I could save 8-10 minutes on the job,but more importantly, don't take the risk crossing the 4 lane street. I am trying to think what the local cable companies do and I think they just use cones. I don't think I have ever seen signs posted, other than when there is road construction going on.

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

and paint it up to make it stand out. The last thing I want is to have an unattentive motorist drive up the ramp....

dropgate.jpg

7. captken

adding to your visibility...expensive per foot.

along with yellow/black painted stripes.

dot tape.jpg

8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I had guy almost drive up my trailer, so now i put out really brite cones.

9. captken

sunlight makes the trailer stand out during the day, also on the drive home at night, headlights make the profile of the trailer stand out

dropgate.jpg

10. captken

this is the right picture...

backsaver.jpg