Parking on lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kirk1701, Feb 21, 2010.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Quick and easy question here.

My lawn goes right up to the street. The house across the street from me is being auctioned off and will have open house this Thursday and auction is two days later on Saturday. I expect a lot of traffic and people coming and going, parking on the curb with no respect.

Grass is still in dormant stage which is why I'm concerned and should be coming out of dormancy here in the next week or two with these temps.

Will the parking hurt the grass?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion, parking on it will not hurt the grass. However...if the soil is soft, parking may leave ruts from the tires. If so you may need to put up some kind of barriers: cement blocks, rocks, picnic tables, 57 Chevrolets or whatever you have to discourage parking on the grass.

3. put in some t posts and caution tape.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Old rusty re-bar works great

5. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Cops like to park on some of our turf areas,eventually leading to soil compaction. The worst is when they do it in the summer. They leave the engine running for the AC. Two days after they leave, Total dead grass, the exact shape of the exhaust system.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Gotta hate that

7. betmr

I do, but how do you argue with the Cops? Esspecialy when they know who you are.

8. betmr

And school busses too. First the grass dies, then the mud gets squished all around. Then once the soil supporting the edge of the asphalt is all compacted or gone the drive starts caving in and the drive gets smaller and smaller, while the mud hole gets bigger and bigger. I can't convince them to keep the rubber on the road.

9. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Guys, very imperative thread I started here :)

Did that last year, literally. Had someone (think jealous neighbor) constantly running off the road which killed the grass so I hid some nails in the grass :laugh:

Think she got one because the next thing I knew here came the cops harassing me and threatening to run me in on criminal mischief :confused:

Now I know what killed that spot at the road too last year (water meter guy) it looked like round-up so I blamed the neighbor there too :drinkup:

That's what I was thinking of doing, only using nylon rope since I have it handy and tie it from t posts to post.

Thanks

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Tape/rope or else park your vehicles where you dont want others parking.