Parking Strips & Easements

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jan 21, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Another thread got me to thinking. In some of your areas it's permissible to throw sprinklers across public front sidewalks. In my area we can't do this because of the waste of water gathering on concrete and the potential of interferring with people using the sidewalk. We also all know that it's nearly impossible to keep water from sidestrips (or any other nozzle) completely off sidewalks and out of gutters so there is still some waste involved. Maybe cities should just get rid of parking strips completely and concrete the whole thing in? How does your area handle this and is it defined by urban vs. rural, the availability of water in your area or some other factor?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We water parking strips if the customer wants it done, but its on his dime if the city needs to dig it up.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Small strips in my neighborhood. We use xeriscaping and drip irrigation. This is mandated by HOA, no grass allowed. And homeowner is responsible for plants, water, and weeds, though it is not homeowner property.

Picture is not the best, but you get the point. The house and weeds to the right I cannot speak for, unruly non-outdoorsy neighbors.

2005 April- Front 2.JPG

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see it as an issue, because overthrowing sidewalks has been customary, especially on a system that is done entirely with rotors. I can see how, on a smaller California lawn, that is done entirely with spray heads, that using strip sprays wouldn't be much of a burden. In sidewalk strips with very old trees, and their surface roots, installing strip sprays can be a technical impossibility. Also, some sidewalk strips are wider than strip heads can cover. As for it 'not being permissable' to water a sidewalk, I don't encounter any oversight and/or concern with sprinkler system layout, once the water supply is protected with backflow prevention. If someone were to complain that they got wet at three in the morning while walking on a customer's sidewalk, I would expect the official response to be something on the order of <i>"And what were you doing there at three in the morning?"</i>

As for three-in-the-morning watering, I can recall, in ancient days, some customers telling me that the neighbors griped if the sprinklers came on at night (impact heads) even to the point of phoning in noise complaints.

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Netafim is a very good fit for narrow strips.

6. Flatbed

Flatbed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Check out Netafim. Haven't tried it yet, but am looking forward to. Just went to a trade show that had a presentation on it, and was very impressed. No water wasted. I don't believe in getting the concrete wet. Spraying over a sidewalk is not acceptable in my opinion.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We've been using Netifim .700 and 1/4 tubing for all of our landscape bed drip...Great product.

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Was hoping to hear from some of the TX guys in response to this one. When I was working the DFW metro, any waste of water was frowned upon. Over spray, watering over walks and excesive spray onto drives and street. It depends on the municipality, but some areas are strict, and I personally think the day of wasting water is past. Even if your in an area like 'boots is that may never mandate it, being a good steward of the resources is our responsiblility. I loose bids because I won't overthrow a public walk. If it won't grow, we don't water it. An extra valve and say 20 side strips on a corner lot is a chunk of change to the homeowner, but it is the right way to install it.

On this note, I like to throw from the walk out or use center strips. I prefer from the walk out because it reduces the chance of damage to the system during curb replacement. Again, it is a location specific thing, but if the city walk is replaced and they hit irrigation, it gets fixed. If they hit it replacing curb, the property owner is responsible. Against the walk means the customer doesn't get stuck for the repair.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

As a design question, how would you lay out strip sprays on a corner property, and not throw water on the sidewalk or street? Figure a curb radius of fifty feet, and a five foot strip width.

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If I'm in an area where overspray is an issue, and the strip is as you have described on a radius, and not straight or square, CSTs down the middle in the 4x30 or 4x28 pattern (depending on flavor) with an end strip head at each end. This won't be perfect, but it will adequately grow grass or keep grass alive. If we were attempting perfect coverage, I might try subsurface drip in a contained area like that.