Parking Strips: line trimmer build-up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 21, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I know we all run into this scenario and I know it's not going to change. With the advent of line trimmers it seems that all curbs and sidewalks are "edged" using them instead of standard edgers. Over the years soil/debris build-up makes humps along the concrete edges and the parking strip develops a "belly" effect... high on the edges and lower in the middle. I'm sure we've all driven about town and seen sprinkler heads just barely coming up through the grass or those that have already been whacked by a mower and are now creating showers.

Dig up a broken sprinkler and you discover that it is set at the proper level to the concrete but now has to pop up through 4"-8" of accumulated build-up. When we replace sprinklers like these (even 6" pop-ups often not enough height) we level to the original grade and leave a triangular cut-out since I'm not about to put the crap back in that caused the problem in the first place.

We have a couple of areas that are so bad that we'll take the sodcutter in and remove the humped build-up areas, allowing the Bermuda roots to just regrow turf. And no... we're not about to install 12" pop-ups for these strips.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I remember lawns so built-up at the trimmed edges (even with steel-blade trimmers) that one couldn't run a mower across the border between lawn and sidewalk. Heavily sanded (in winter) roads and highways get heavy buildups on their median strips, and periodically get scraped back to grade, and reseeded.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez, is it time to drag out my old posts about using 6" pops?:hammerhead:

4. Wet_Boots

Winter sanding really wears sprinkler heads, besides burying them, slowly but surely. As far as popups go, one job I remember with an extreme turf buildup, about three inches or so of visible dirt under the grass by the sidewalk edge, used fixed brass sprays on brass risers. Adjusting to turf buildup meant changing brass nipples.

5. Mike Leary

Sprinkler guys made more money in Boot's day before 6" heads were invented.

6. Wet_Boots

They didn't have 4" heads, either. Or 3" heads, come to think of it. How did those lawns ever manage to survive? :)

7. Mike Leary

Real people installed them..did the math..laid it out..I still admire them for
    what they had to work with..galvy..newest thing for us were cut-off risers &
    dual program clocks!