parks, football fields, please help...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 16, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i've been offered a job, well, at least a shot at one, great paying with excellent bennies and full retirement after 20 yrs. i'm very knowledgable about fert programs, and have been able to correct problems with my clients lawns that the last 10 guys couldn't do, even the big companies like tg, and ld. the job involves overseeing the care of all the town parks, buildings, and sports fields, as far as chemicals and fert are concerned. the door was opened to me because: i am a licensed aplicator. i have years of experience. and, the lady who is in charge of hiring knows a few of my customers who all told her my programs are exceptional. here is what she wants for me to be considered for the position: written referels from my clients, i contacted 3, they are all more than happy to give me a written referel. also, a letter from the d.e.p stating i'm in good standing with them, and have never been cited for a violation. this is no problem. they want pics of my properties, which may be tough because at this time of year, they are not at thier best. and finnally, they want anything else i can come up with that would show them i'm the right man for the job. so far, beside my criminal record, i've come up with the fact that i have supervisor experience from my previous job. can any of u guys think of anything else i can present to them? i'm all ears, and i really want the job. it's 7 am till 3 pm, which leaves me lots of time to cut lawns. thanx

2. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh, duh, and i forgot to mention: these areas are all non irrigated, which means i'll need to alter the programs just a bit, lower on the n, etc. any other suggestions?

3. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I think you ought to compile all of your posts on here, print them out and submit them as evidence of your talents. :cool: R. don't leave out the one about you and the customer at the police station, or the one about the hottie wanting a quote, or the one about....

And remember city organizations live and die by budgets so express your past experience working within a budget or your ability to develop an accurate budget. And any experience you have with saving money while accomplishing the turf management goals within a budget. Budgets, budgets, budgets.

And they usually want a " Yes, man". They are probably not looking for someone to tell them they need more money directed toward park maintenance. Councils like low profile people and stuff, easy to 'manage' people who are puppets to their policies. Unless of you quietly improve their parks at less of a cost-- then you'll just hear about yoru good work come election time. Their goals are their relections, and retention of their jobs. They want to know how you are going to be able to help them accomplish their goals...

Good luck with it.

4. Life happens pretty fast to you doesn't it?

Let me get this right. You'll be an employee of the city? Not just some consultant or something? Is it an existing position or a newly created one? What kind of budgetary control will you have? Some of these bureaucracies think that if they just hire an administrator things will happen. Then they don't give him the necessary controls to implement changes. Can you spend money? Hire & fire? Do you have to generate income with softball leagues etc? How many acres you talking? Is it everything the city has or just public areas?

Well, that's a lot more questions than answers isn't it? I have a friend that has that position locally. I could ask him what to watch for. Actually they combined parks and recreation and gave him the whole ball of wax. he has a salary plus has a $125,000/yr. budget.

I wouldn't get too dramatic about how your lawns look. Sports turf that people walk and drive etc. on are a little different.

Best of luck to you.

Dave

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

it is a newly created position. we havn't talked about every detail, just a phonecall is all i got. once i'm ready, i'll submit all of thier requests, and i'll be asked to give a presentation. i'm feelin kinda good right now, did 3 quotes yesterday, all face to face with lots of questions, just got confirmation on my third one, went 3 for 3. green, actually, i think i'll leave some stuff out. i want this job, bad.

6. GardenTech

GardenTech LawnSite Member

And don't forget to Shave, put on Nice Clothes, and look Presentable.
    And don't forget to Take you wife's car ( not the truck ).

Knock 'Em Out! Best of Luck!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Some things that come to mind are...

1. Mechanical ability
    2. Can be both a Supervisor and Worker (hands on in the trenches)
    3. Financial Accountability (living within your budget)
    4. Good communication skills (people skills in general)
    5. Flexibility in trying new things
    6. Organizational skills

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

rod. mechanical ability: i'm not sure how to change a sparkplug. can be both a supervisor and worker: i'm in. as long as my men cooperate, i can do both. financial accountability: i can turn alpo into beef stew and we will all love it. i know how to "rough it". good communication skills: i've been told i'm "charismatic" . i'm assuming that's a good thing. flexibility: no problem. now, if u will excuse me, i made a terrible mistake today at the liquor store. i bought tall boys instead of my usual 12 ouncers, and just now realized i killed 10 of them. not knowing they were tallboys till now, i'm hammered.

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Why do you want it so bad? As opposed to continuing to do what you are now?

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

hmmm. well, i've always worked in a factory environment. what i'm doing now is basically scraping by. will have to start paying for my own bennies soon enough too. this new job will cover benefits, life insurence, pension. it will also allow me to work outdoors, and call the all the shots. i'll be paid for holidays, even ones i don't celebrate. and, it will leave me lots of time to cut grass. and, no weekend work, ever. its a dream job compared to my other one. and the lawn stuff, really starting to wonder if one can truly do well full time at it.