Part 2... I love these calls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, May 5, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It must be me, and realize this is a business, but I don't any see reason to be so unpleasant to customers. OK....... if you have a completely unreasonable customer, tell them you can’t meet their needs and find another LCO. However…….At least attempting to satisfy a customer is part of the job and of course the price should reflect that effort.
    Who do we think we are??? Anyone with a strong back and half a brain can cut lawns. All of a sudden we seem to think we are Doctors, Scientists and Aircraft pilots. Sorry, all you “thirty something” guy’s are getting a bit too high and mighty for me. Back in the “Fifties”, the only guy’s that cut grass were the high school dropouts. It just doesn’t take that much skill, and I use the term lightly in “many a case”, to cut grass, trim and weed whack.
    Sure, we all must have a job, but being a nice guy goes along with it. Yes, I have my share of “bitchy” old ladies, but I also have those that force me to take a $10, $20 or $30 tip around Christmas time, knowing that can’t really afford it.
    Pete.. the Old Geezer

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is quite true. You never want to bite the hand that feeds you. All customer service orientated jobs require being nice and working with others. This profession is no exception.

Gravely_Man

3. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

THIS MENTALITY COMES FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HOUSE. MOST ANY DOPESHOW CAN CUT GRASS, I WILL AGREE WITH YOU THERE, BUT IT GOES ALOT DEEPER THAN THAT. WHEN YOU OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND YOU HAVE TO WEAR ALL THE HATS YOU HAVE TO SEE THE RED FLAGS, KNOW HOW TO PART PEOPLE FROM THEIR MONEY, KNOW HOW TO SELL YOURSELF AS WELL AS YOUR COMPANY, KNOW WHAT PALMS TO PRESS, KNOW WHEN TO RUN THE OTHER WAY, KNOW WHEN ENOUGHS ENOUGH, KNOW ADVERTISING, KNOW ACCOUNTING, ESTIMATING, ECONOMICS, SUPERVISION, PATIENTS, MECHANICS, FORMULAS, ALGEBRA, BUSINESS, AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON. SO MAYBE SOME OF US DO THINK QUITE A BIT OF OURSELVES AND MAYBE I AM ONE OF THEM. I KNOW WHEN YOU ARE IN BUSINESS FOR YOURSELF IT IS THE HARDEST YOU ARE EVER GOING TO WORK IN YOUR LIFE.

BECAUSE 99% OF THE REGULAR JOES WORK FOR THE MAN AND ANY ****** CAN PUNCH A CLOCK!!!!! :D

4. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

PLEASE AIRBORNE, THE CAPS ARE ANNOYING!!!! Back to the thread. Yes, image is everything. I've had a few accounts I got, and the other bids were lower than mine. It's the way you present yourself.

5. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

Funny, I am an aircraft pilot :D (Private Pilot, almost Instrument Rated).

I had been a student working on my Commercial Pilot's Certificate when the whole airline industry went down the tidy-bowl. So, I am taking my other love (mowing lawns) and doing what I gotta do - work for my self.

Now I only wish I had spent my last $20,000 on commercial mowing equipment, not flying, as at least we can make a living doing this!

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And, the customer "still pays your salery", so treat'em nice;)
    Pete

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto Airborne 1

I am a college grad and I worked as an editor and in a bank. I could do most anything I wanted, but being a business owner is the most satisfying to me. Plus I can't stand working inside. I can do the job better and more effieciently than at least 90% of the LCO's I see around town. I charge a premium for my service and the customer knows what they are getting for that extra $$$$ they are paying.

Go ahead and find some dopehead that can run a biz. REALLY successfully. This may not be rocket science but running any legit biz. is no joke.

8. elliboom

elliboom LawnSite Member

I am new to this business, and new to this forum. Mostly I have been spending my time here just observing and trying to learn. I also am a college graduate with an degree in engineering, but I had a minor in small buisness management. I am frankly starting this business for one reason, and that is to make some money and help myself out at taxtime. The one underlying thing that I have noticed about most of the people on this site is the arrogance, and the complete lack of respect that comes out when a new person asks what may seems liek a stupid question to some. I have also noticed this is true of the people that run these businesses in my area. When you deal with them face to face the same attitude comes out. The worst ones that I have ran into are the firefighters who do this on their Kelly days. I agree with what was said above about it not taking any real skills to do this job. True the skill comes in running the business, but how many here really know what they are doing in that area either. These are just observations that I have made in my few months of roaming around on this site. Take them for what they are are, and that is my opinion. I do not mean to offend anyone in particular.

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If any dope head could do this why are there so many? Because they cant run the business as a business, they can only cut grass. They cannot keep customers because they have no people skill, or think the world owes them everything. There will always be scrubs and true business's in the green industry. But the scrubs will always come and go, the true business's will not they will stick around. Knowing how to handle customers, talk to them and simply call them back is something not everyone can do for some reason. Seems simple, but to these others guys it isnt!

On the other hand, my company does not cut grass, we manicure it. Which does go a lot further than being the lawn boy, and includes aeration, seeding and other things.

Having my customers tell me "I really love the way you take care of my yard" means a lot to me. Its what this is all about, not just buzzing across a yard at top speed to get it cut in 5 minutes and running to the next one. Thats also why I can continually keep all my customers and charge more.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to disagree w/ the line that any dopehead can mow grass! Things are a lot different now than back in the 50's or even 70's. More people turn to LCO's to have their services provided as there are 2 incomes and they truly want to enjoy their weekends off. This is where the line is drawn between scrubs and pros: Some people just want the mow, trim & blow so they don't have to do it - most prefer the cross-cut yards, well manicured look w/ clean edges, and everything blown off well. Not many dopeheads can understand pride in ownership - trust me as I've had the misfortune of hiring a few.