Part missing?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cranesrule, Sep 2, 2006.

1. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

PJ,

I was scraping my mower deck today and just doing a normal walk-around check on my Fastrak when I noticed that something may be missing off of one of my transmissions. On the left tranny (drivers side) there is a black plastic cap over the area directly opposite the axle shaft, like where the tail end of the shaft would come out if it went all the way through the transmission. On the other transmission, this cap is not present. In fact, it looks as if there is not room for one due to the deck belt coming off of the clutch and passing extremely close to that area. With no cap, you can see a small grooved "shaft" coming out of the side of the tranny. It almost looks like a small cog. There are also signs that the belt has made contact with the transmission housing, ie black streaks on the housing. At rest, the belt looks like it has clearance and there s no unusual wear on the belt, so the black mark may have been from a freak occurrence. But I would like to know if that cap should be there, and exactly what part that is that it is covering.

Thanks,

Mark

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Can you take a picture of it for me to see?
    It sounds like it is just the parking brake shaft, there are multiple ways to put brakes on these hydro's due to different mounting options and applications.

Pj

3. cranesrule

PJ,
    My upload is dial up, so a picture would be slooow...
    The best way to see it is from the back of the mower under the engine. the cap faces the inside, not out away from the mower. In other words, if there was a cap on each hydro they would face eachother.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will take a look at one today to see what you are looking at and let you know.

Pj

5. cranesrule

PJ have you taken a look?

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

My travels on Thursday didn't allow me to see a mower, I will look at one for sure tomorrow though and let you know.

7. cranesrule

bump

PJ...

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I see what your talking about and seeing.
    I have a e-mail to our service manager to get a explanation.

Pj

9. cranesrule

Heard anything PJ?

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

As you assumed, the cap is not there due to belt clearance.
    The cap simply covers up the brake shaft, the brake cog is mounted on the other side of the transmission, the IZT's are a universal type set up that could have the cog mounted on either side of the case.
    Hope this explains it.

Pj