1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

part time cutting-does it work?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by reeginc, Aug 12, 2004.

1. reeginc

reeginc LawnSite Member

I am thinking of starting a lawn cutting business with cutting the main focus of the business. I am not looking at this point to offer any other services but cutting and trimming. Anyway I need to have medical benifits (since i am diabetic) and currently my full time job provides them.....So has anyone or is there anyone now that is working full time and doing this part time for now? I hope within a year or two I can grow this into something bigger and have my wife go to full time work while I run the business.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the guys here started out P/T regardless of what they might say, start out slow and go as you grow.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The only problem you might run into is if it rains on your mowing days. But this happens to us full-timers too. Starting slowing, doing good work and gaining customers by referrals is often the safest route to go. Give it a try.
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I am part-time.....and only have 18 regular customers. But I have insurance, license, etc......

That is more than I really wanted. 15 was my initial cap at the beginning of the year. But I figure I can drop 3 that are slow payers.

By the way, my FT job is a Firefighter/Paramedic. So getting the work done each week really is not that tough.

5. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I only mow about 10 yards right now. I too would like to grow and become a large profitable company. I would like to get big enough to replace my full time job with mowing. Insurance is a very big deal.
  6. reeginc

reeginc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help
  7. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

I hear so many people talk about working their FT job so they can have insurance, or having to send the wife out to work to get the insurance. In the short term that may be fine, but why tie yourself down for 2080 hours a year (FT) at a dead-end job just to get insurance. Especially when most companies are making you pay 1/3 of your premium of it out of your check anyway.

I take a different approach insurance. Let's just use a very high figure of $1000.00 per month to buy your own insurance. That's twelve thousand dollars a year. So if you charge $35.00 per cut and you cut 35 times per year, you would need to take on an extra 9.8 customers to cover your insurance. Rounding that off to ten customers, and assuming it takes you 45 minutes per customer, you would work 262.5 hours per year to pay for your insurance.

So the wife stays home or works with you (postponing having to hire an "outside" employee) and you have insurance. 2080 hours working some dead-end job (not including travel time, another vehicle, etc.) to pay for insurance, or 262.5 hours, working for yourself, to pay for your insurance.

Paying for your own insurance needs to be included in your budget, just like budgeting for new equipment (it doesn't last forever), vehicles, business insurance, etc.
  8. bhoffman

bhoffman LawnSite Member

I also work full time and work at lawn care part-time. I mow 7 accounts on a weekly basis. I also do spring and fall cleanups along with mulching, weeding and mass plantings. If they are calling for alot of rain for a certain week, I just won't schedule anything other than my mowings.

Just my two cents :)
  9. bhoffman

bhoffman LawnSite Member

I also run my business as a legitimate business with insurance, license, etc.....
  10. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

How do you go about getting register business name, licensed, insured, etc. Should I talk to my CPA? I only have 8 accounts. I'm also working part time mowing. Have full time job. Thanks in advance.