1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Part time employees 1099?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hustler king, Mar 26, 2009.

1. hustler king

hustler king LawnSite Member
    from 46628

I'm going to have 6 or 7 guys that are going to work one days week for maybe 10-12 hours a day, how do you guys do your 1099's because i've been hearing several different things.
  2. ryansbob

ryansbob LawnSite Member

If they don't bring their own tools, get to the jobsite on their own, and carry their own liability insurance they aren't a sub-contractor so you'd better not be 1099ing them. If you do and the irs would find out (all it takes is an angry customer to report you) you are responsible to pay their taxes, because the irs will consider them an employee and you are responsible to take out and pay employee taxes. Use a payroll service and do the right thing. Only other option is to hire illegals because if they get hurt they will run, the white guys will sue your pants off if they are a sub and get hurt on the job.
  3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

All true..except I think that illegals now feel entitled to freebee's. Also when the IRS asks the worker to pay his taxes, he'll get that puzzled look, and then the lCO gets to pay the taxes. A disgruntled worker will also turn you in
  4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Your answer is right on the money.
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You maybe able to claim them as causal labor. Anything under 600.00 . But check with a bookkeeper or accountant.
  6. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to check this out. The $600 is the lower limit for meeting the 1099 filing requirement.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The title of your thread speaks of the problem -- employee and 1099 don't go together. ryansbob spells out the issues as I understand them to be.
  8. Here it goes again
  9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

This topic has come up a million times before.

You cannot 1099 an employee.
  10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

If your only going use then a couple of times try and go through a temp agency . This way everything is taken care of tax wise and comp. wise.