Part time guys - what's your revenue?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by zz4guy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

What are some gross revenues you guys pull in?

I'm a part time guy with about 10 weekly accounts and also offer shrub/tree trimming and other turf services. I pull in a little over $1k/month. Assuming 7 months I should pull in $8-9k this year. Just wondering how well you other part timers are doing?

What is the most you think you can pull in doing this part time??

2. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

I work 16-20 hours a week (mowing only) and gross anywhere from $2000 to $3000 a month, depending on whether I get 4 or 5 weeks that month, time of year, etc.

3. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I work two days a week and have a helper work about 25 hours a week and we do about $3200 a month. I pay him $10 an hour. So I take home about $2000 a month when you figure in expenses etc. Will have someone full time next year.

4. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Back when I was part time I worked 3 days a week and grossed about $13,500 a year.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I always wondered about pt guys in this business. Do you do it for the extra income, the exercise, the love of being outdoor cause you're tied to a desk M-F, or is there something else?

6. zz4guy

All of the above!

After 9-5 in front of a computer I want to get outside, so I figured I might as well make some money doing what I love.

7. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I started as big as I could in order to have a full-time business. Part-time was as big as I could be, at first, with the amount of equipment and customers. As those two things have grown, I now have a full-time business.

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm hoping for $5-7k this summer moving up to $20-25k next year and double that in '09.

9. GreenS14

GreenS14 LawnSite Member
    from Ca

This is right on the money on what i'm trying to do.

Mike, how many hours are you working?

10. zz4guy

I try to only go out and mow 2 days per week with 4-6 lawns each day. Wed. and Saturday.

It boils down to about 10-12 hrs per week in mowing/driving time. But then there is all the added work of sending out bills, fixing equipment, maintenance, calling people, estimates, buying supplies, and other book work, etc. Each week I probably spend about 5 extra hours on all this.

It is really a great way to spend my free time. I absolutely love it and still have time to relax. Even now that we are working 50hrs weeks at my 9-5 it is still doable.