1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Part time lawn Service Advice?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stagger, Dec 31, 2006.

1. stagger

stagger LawnSite Member

Hi, Im starting a part time lawn cutting service, looking to cut 8 ~ 10 lawns a week to help supplement my income.

Since this will be a part time business, and I wont have any employees, would I still have to register my business and obtain a DBA thru my state (New Jersey)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Don't do it find something else.
  3. stagger

stagger LawnSite Member

Why are you saying not to do it, and to find an alternate?
    Or you just breaking my stones?
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I actually agree on this one. You need to be able to commit to good quality & be there for customers if they need it. If you are doing it part time, you can't really take the extra time to give customers that they deserve. It makes the industry as a whole look bad.

As for your question, you don't need to have a dba, but you do need liability insurance to cover you.
  5. stagger

stagger LawnSite Member

Well if I was 16, maybe I would agree with you, but Ive been cutting lawns for 25 Years, since I was 12. I also have a few years professional experience working with a landscaper, not even counting all the neighbors lawns I cut when I was a Teenager for Money. I have gained a Wealth of knowledge over the last 10 years maintaining my personal lawn that neighbors still awe over.

I know how to cut a lawn and leave it looking awesome. U would be surprised how I see some landscapers with all crooked lines in the grass, all there worried about is getting in, and out ASAP. Maybe im a Anal SOB, but my lines in my yard have to be perfectly straight.

Get the Picture!
  6. carcrz

I get it. You just sounded in your original post like you were just starting out. Just a thought though, why not do it full time. If you have so much experience, it shouldn't be any problem getting new customers from referrals.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think the part that tends to frustrate is the failure to answer the original question, which...

If you plan on grossing much more than perhaps a thousand dollars / year, then yes, you need a business license.
    With 8-10 customers, you will most likely gross several thousand dollars, maybe more.
    So to be on the safe side, run on over to see the county clerk(s) at your local courthouse, spend the $35 and it's done.
  8. stagger

stagger LawnSite Member

Well I may go full time, but I want to see how part time goes first before I invest a lot into it Like I said, I have the cutting experience, just not the owner experience.
  9. stagger

stagger LawnSite Member

Thanks Topsites, would I have to also get Liability Insurance?
  10. carcrz

yes you would. Homeowners insurance does not cover you if you screw something up.