1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

part time or full time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Dec 20, 2003.

Full or Part Time?

1. Full time always wanted to do it

28 vote(s)
  2. Full time but because of other reasons

6 vote(s)
  3. Part time for pocket money

19 vote(s)
  1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

There's 12 or 13k members that read LS so how many of you planned this as a profession? I mean started out knowing this was the field you wanted to be in and started your biz. Or did you get laid off and started or do you do it part time for pocket money? And if you are full time do you have a family to support or just yourself? Just curious
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Never woke up one day and just said, "hey, let's start cutting grass."

We were looking to start up a small business, one that we thought we would be able to operate decently.
    After much thought and deliberation, we came up with lawncare.
    Jumped in full time right from the beginnng.
    Yes, we support ourselves, two children, and one dog on our business income.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Mac-I was striping and mowing ball fields when I was 15. I worked for the local board of parks and recreation until I got out of high school, mowing lawns the whole time as well. Started college,managed Lowe's Garden Center for three years, and after that I tried to take in as much info / field time as I could working for nurseries, tree co.,landscape co.,and florists.Started full time four years ago, and haven't looked back since.2 full time guys and a few part timers for installs in the summer as needed.I have a family to support, and support them well. I was meant to be outside from the get-go, and couldn't be anywhere else..Anyone else care to elaborate a little? Thanks Mac..;)
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out working for my cousin when I was 15. I am 40 now. Still have not figured out what I want to be when I grow up so I guess I will keep on landscaping until I do. :laugh:
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Started doing this at an early age for neighbors, and it was something that I enjoyed and found that paid well so I stuck with it. I actually took like 2 years away from it working for others and found out what I was missing so got back into it. I still think back to those years I took off and think of what the company could be like today.
  6. jlcare

jlcare LawnSite Member

Left Delta Airlines as an aircraft mechanic in Jan. 2003 making $74,000 a year. Was there for 11 yrs. Took severance package and have never looked back. Had some ups and downs financially this year, but do not regret this decision at all. And yes, I have a wife,3 kids and a dog. All for sale, any offers?
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have always been a part timer in this business. I probably always will be for one main reason.
    I have a daughter that has a serious medical condition (not life threatening) that requires alot of yearly test, check ups and so on. As long as I am employed, she cannot be denied insurance coverage.
    I have a good FT job that enables me to do what I truly love, my PT work.

Unless someone shows me a better way. I am content with my set up.

Wife of 17 years, two daughters, 12 and the oldest will be 14 December 26
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I worked for the 3 big soft drink companies, in 2 different states and hated it. I was looking for a business to start, and thought, what kind of idiot cant mow grass? More to it than i thought, but dont regret it. I support a wife, 4 dogs and 5 cats, and the occasional leaching relative.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I left Hertz in September of 1994 (permanent medical disability) after about 13 years there cause of throat cancer. Started my business part time that fall and went full time LCO in 1995. At that time, I was married with 3 step children. I have never looked back or thought twice about my decision. Presently, I only support myself.
  10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

June 1st o* '98 I told my employer to kiss it. Bought * truck, tr*iler, 36" mower, trimmer *nd blower. I now support * st*y *t home wi*e (she does *LL the p*perwork), 2 kids, *nd * dog. Now th*t I h*ven't worked much the l*st couple o* weeks I couldn't be h*ppier. But 2 months *go I w*s going cr*zy.