Part-Time Solo Operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 22, 2002.

?

Yearly Gross for Part-time solo operators

Poll closed Aug 26, 2002.
  1. 10K or less

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. 15K

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. 20K

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. 25K

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. 30K or more

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious how much part-timers are making. It might help to include how many hours per week you log in.

2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

I STARTED KIND OF LATE IN THE SEASON FOR THIS AREA, END OF MAY...SHOULD GET FOUE SOLID MONTHS OF CUTTING IN BEFORE FULL FALL CLEAN UPS...CURRENTLY WORKING ABOUT 19-23 HRS WK...WILL BE MORE EFFICIENT NEXT YR HOPEFULLY W/ BETTER EQUIPMENT...PROB GOING TO GET MY ARSE KICKED THIS FALL WITH LEAVES...GOTTA CRAWL BEFORE YOU CAN WALK...

HOSS---IF YOU READ THIS WHERE ARE YOU IN MEMPHIS??

3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not going to vote because I've only started this year and things are not very consistant yet. I can say that I've missed a LOT of work because of working part time.

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I just started this year so it is too early to vote. I hope to wind up in the 20 to 25 range.

I am working about 20 to 30 hours per week.

5. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Jimbo,
    I voted 30K and over, but I am not truly a solo op. Although part-time, I usually have a helper with me. I have 2 60" Lazers, so we can mow alot of grass.

6. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Average 5 to 6 hrs a day, usually 4 days a week, depends on the weather. Only on the weekends if I have to catch up on some odd jobs, like this friday/saturday I've got 30 acres of brushhogging (about 10 hrs) along with about 4 hours of commercial lawn mowing. Guess my average hrs this week will be more like 30hrs+:dizzy: Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:sleeping:

7. 4 years now part-time - each year gets better, working smarter not harder,(Due to this site)
    average 22-24 hours for 16 yards per week including servicing equipment each week.

8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a part time solo well sometimes the wife helps out a little. It takes me about 20 to 30 hours every 10 days to finish up everyone. Yes I'm in the dreaded 10 day country. I pull in just over 30k a year, with my 36" derby w/b. I could be pulling in a lot more if I wanted it. I'm trying to finish up my degree. So I only take the good jobs, and every fall I do job costing for each customer and decide if their worth the trouble and thin out the list.

I'm selling the business next year if anyone is looking in the WV area

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

10 hours a week summer
    20 hours a week early fall
    30 hours a week fall
    +35 hours a week spring
    0 hours winter.

+30K no prob.

This year is the first year with my wife helping so I am not really solo but she is still on the learning curve.

I am still set to do everything by myself if I have to but I am getting spoiled. Best part is, we keep all the money. and no workmans comp issues.

10. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I justed started this past March. I probably work 5 hours a week in the dead of Summer, four times that when things are growing well. I'll probably fall into the 20k area.

Michael