part time to full time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skurkp, Jun 6, 2006.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I have been in short grass business now for a few seasons and stay pretty busy. I work full time for a company doing industrial maintenance. I have recently been having to turn down work, which I don't enjoy doing. My wife has become very much involved in the company and has been telling me that I need to quit my full time job and work for the company full time. We are currently invoicing around $4500 per month for just weekend work and this is with no extras such as irrigation installs or service work. I have gotten quotes on health insurance and I can cover my family for 70 more per month that I am currently paying at my full time job. I am wondering at what point if you have did you decide to work for yourself full time. I am really tire of the two job thing and my wife tells me all the time I am never home and she would like to see me more often. I really feel that if I work for myself I can become much larger than I am now. The idea I know is to grow and have several crews, but the jump is a scary one.

2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I know the feeling you are in. I'm in the same boat. However if I was invoicing 4500 a month it wouldn't be near as hard. I am at about 2200 a month in just mowing not any fert and squirt. I am going to make the leap next spring.

3. Lawn Works

Lawn Works LawnSite Member

Same here. I'm an operations director for a large outdoor retail center. I clear about $3000 a month working evenings and weekends. My wife helps out and actuall likes riding the ZTR mowers. I figure that I can pay off my equipment this year and by this time next year go full time. SCARY but business is good and I have had to turn down jobs as well.