Part time to full time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pdenney11, Nov 23, 2009.

1. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

This is the end of my second year doing lawn care. My first year I got a good start with 25 accts. I was living with my parents still so I wasn't hurting for money. Now I'm out on my own and have a few more bills every month. This year was hard to get new accts. I ended up with 28 accts this year which wasn't getting the bills paid so I took on a ful time groundskeeper job and starting mowing for my business from 3 till dark. I worked alot of hours all summer and it really beat me down. I hate my hourly job and want to go full time with my business again because that's what I enjoy. I'm just having a hard time making the transition. I would like to have atleast 40 mowing accts before I move to full time and it seems almost impossible for me to be able to get 15-20 new accts this upcoming spring in my area. How have you previous part timers made the transition without getting behind on the bills and going broke will trying to get new clients?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

My best way to get new clients is the 2 local papers I put 2 sided full color flyers in the papers in late Feb or Early March costs about $1000 for the whole package including all printing and results were great so thats my best advice as its local advertizing only hitting the area that you want.

3. pdenney11

Thanks for the info. The local newspaper in my area has taken such a huge hit this year. They have raised their prices and lost a lot of customers from it. If the price is right with them then I would consider that as a option but I won't spend 1000.00 on newspaper advertising right now. I will just have to check on a price from them and see what they are willing to do for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

how about direct mailing? You can target who you want to send to, and prices aren't that bad, especially if you do the stamping and labeling yourself.

5. pdenney11

What kind of return are you getting on direct mail? Seems that would be a lot more personal then door hangers. Last time I did the door hangers I would see people come to the door, not look at them at all, pull them off the door and wad them up. I use VISTA PRINT for my business cards. Has anyone used them for postcards for direct mail?

6. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

i had over 5% return on the direct mailing I've done which is more than I expected, but I don't expect it to normally to be that high. I used 48hourprint to print them up and used infoUSA (I think off the top of my head) for the addresses. I only sent out about 750 (wasn't looking to add a lot of work at the time, just fill out routes), but had about 10 calls and most landed jobs (I don't know the percentages off hand either). I'm gonna do it again this coming spring, but probably do two, maybe even three rounds, with about 1500 cards each (probably to the same addresses each time).

I agree on the door hangers too (most toss them immediately). I've done them, but not to much response (about 3%).

7. pdenney11

I wouldn't mind driving around writing down addresses, stamping and labeling them myself so this seems like a good idea if I'm only paying for the postage and printing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I went full time last spring-quit my job at the hospital. The funny thing is that we didn't even notice the money difference!!!:confused:I guess I got busier and landed a couple of new accounts and we didn't miss a beat. I have a wife who stays at home raising my two girls-3 and 7. The largest hit seemed to be the insurance-that hurt! We have a very high deductible and are basically paying out of pocket all year. WE also don't have vision or dental and no 401K. My father used to stress to me the importance of having a job with benefits and I never listened. He would say that good benefits is like another paycheck in itself. He's gone now and I see what he was talking about. I wouldn't want to work for someone else again but the great insurance was nice. However, things aren't like they used to be, with great benefits. I think if my wife gets a job in the next couple of years with benefits, that will be the idea situation.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That's where we're at now. My old lady brings home the benefits and I bring home the Benjamins. :D

10. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

That's the perfect situation. I keep telling my wife that her hourly income isn't as much of a concern as the benefits. The problem is that she is a graphic artist with a degree and she thinks she needs to do that profession and make a certain income-I'm trying to convince her otherwise.:dizzy:I've got the earning potential with my job and, with my overhead, I need to be rolling to pay for it.