part time to full time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Etlawn, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

Im just curious how you guys switched from doing this PT to going full boat...
    I currently work for a lawn care company and Im getting tired of all the BS....get paid salary...work lots of hours..you know the routine. I currently have a few customers I mow on the side but not enough to support myself. Thanks in advance

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Throw it all to the wind and go for it...Well it worked for me.

I can't do anything half-way. I quit a job as a 401(k) consultant cold turkey and started my biz back up. I knew that if I tried to do it part time I would never have the time to devote to it. So I decided sink or swim. I would have no choice but to give my total time and attention.

That's just me, but its something you might want to think about. Are you that type of person?

3. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

I am just worrying about failing at it and not making enough money. I am still young (24) but I am afraid to commit when I might regret it. I understand risk and reward but it is a big step in a tough economy.....:confused:

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No time like the present!! You are better off taking the chance while you're young and have a lot of energy. More time in life for you to recover now if something goes bad.

Yes, the economy IS tough. It's just as tough for an employee of someones business as well as your own. If the place you work for is struggling because of tough times, you will be long gone before the owner will. If he needs to downscale or take action to cut costs, that may mean less employees. You are not any safer employed than owning the business. It may be a little less mental stress working for someone, but it isn't any more secure.

If you have experience for someone you already have a head start. You have hands on training in the field and now need to educate yourself on the business end. Good luck and go for it. Nobody ever achieves success by laying back or playing second fiddle. :)

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Start today.
    Right now.
    Turn off the computer and write a business plan.
    How much do you need to make per year to live?
    How much will you need to make by the day, week, month, season to reach that figure?
    Who are your future customers?
    How will you reach them?
    Line up you're customers.
    Buy the equipment you NEED with the money you HAVE to service your current properties.
    2 weeks before the season starts, give your employer a 2 week notice. (That will motivate you like nothing else)
    Start at the beginning----Go to the END-----THEN stop.

Ships in harbor are Safe
    But, that is NOT what ships were made for

6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I was gonna be part time again this year, but got laid off from my regular job at 4pm on Friday, December 6. Woke up Saturday morning, December 7 at about 6:30am and was a fulltime lco...simple !!! :D

7. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

"You are better off taking the chance while you're young and have a lot of energy"

I dont know about the extra energy part..LOL
    Thanks for the tips AND motivation. I am definitely going to put together some numbers and see from there. I will definitely give this some serious thought....
    Thanks....:D

Anyone else want to kick me in the pants and get me goin?...LOL

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Or, you can look for an easy, stable job with "full benifits", and make your real money mowing on the side. In today's world, benifits and "security" are becoming the most important thing. Right now, after 20 years, I have full benifits, a retirement plan, 5 weeks vacation, 20 sick days a year, AND absolutely no pressure or headaches. I only make $42,000 at my full time job, but I'm off at 4, home at 4:05, and rest of the time I can mow on the side. It works for me...........
    Pete

9. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

That is pretty much what I do now switchless. But my hours are unsteady. I dont have a 40 hr week. I am on salary and sometimes I end up working 10-12 hour days. It is hard to try to take on a good amount of work and be certain I can get it all done. I usually mow some of my commercial stuff on Sun so that helps.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK.. I can see that........ that sucks. It makes it so hard to plan the day. I'm home at 4:05, grab a sandwich, and I'm mowing before 4:30. In season, I'm mowing Saturday and half a day Sunday through mid june......just part of the business.....
    Pete