Part Time when should I mow

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Watson's Landscaping, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys i'm in a full time 8-5/m-f job and am try to get this part time lawn stuff off and rolling. I would like to know what you guys think about mowing on the weekends? do your clients get mad or are they ok with it. last season I was mowing after I got off work and that was fine but I'm looking to pick up more clients this year and don't know if I'll be able to get the done before the weekend comes.

2008 F-350 supercab long box(on order)
    2006 Exmark 26"
    Redmax edger/trimmer
    Echo blower
    hand tools
    (looking of a enclosed trailer)
  2. lawnrich

lawnrich LawnSite Member

dump the 9-5 and never look back your only going to win big if you go all in
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In the tight urban areas they don't want you mowing when they are home...and neither do the neighbors. So pick your customer wisely, simply ask them!
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If you must on sunday I'd wait till about 10 am. That way all the church goers are gone and the neighbors kids are awake. Saturday is fare game. Just let them now that this is a part time thing for you. What are your plains if it rains on Sat and half of sunday. Dont have much room to play with.
    Oh yea almost forgot. GOOD LUCK WITH THE KIDS TOYS!
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

`so it rains over the weekend, and the next, and the next,...

when do the customers get there grass cut..
    if your doing this, be prepaered to spend all your free time at it, not weekends... and many poeple want the grass cut during the week so they can have a nice weekend at home... ..your not being realistic.... when i started part time i mowed every evening until dark , every weekday, and all day weekends.. and still needed more time...
  6. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

TAG... Thats how i picked up one of my client last summer, their part timer lawn guy could only cut on fridays and saturdays but it would rain every weekend so he couldn't come because his Crapsman mowers couldn't handle the wet grass and it was growing out of control, thats when I took over. Saturdays are fine usually but try to stay away from Sunday unless you know the customers and neighbors won't mind. Don't fire up the mower at 8 a.m. on a Sunday... you might get some grumpy complaints.
  7. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

I'm in similar situation as you. I'm going to try and mow Mon-Fri after work (4pm). I'm prioritizing to set the route up with basic clients Mon-Wed and the more influential on Thurs-Fri with Saturday as catch-up day and commercial accounts.

I figure most of the commercial places will be free of workers/customers and a big church I do if cut on Sat will look spiffy on Sunday. Weather is always a factor, but a wb cuts down on ruts and little old ladies coming to the door yelling "Don't you think it's too wet?!?!?" if it is raining or drizzling out.

Luckily, my full-time job is only going to make me use these evening hours April-May, and September-October. I know...the most growth and big leafy months :laugh:

I'd recommend keeping your full-time to pay all your regular bills as you have been, and let the business pan out, pay for itself, and if it gets to the point you CAN make the full dive, you won't be nearly as stressed out as just giving them your 2 weeks notice tomorrow and giving up all your healthcare, vacation, etc. etc. right off the bat. Will the next few months be hectic for you?? You Bet! Will the peace of mind of your current job taking care of expenses and your lawn care supplementing that be enough? Only you will know.

Good Luck and God Bless! :usflag:

OOOPS- don't know if I actually addressed your question! I'd say keep residential accounts on Mon-Fri and put all your commercial places on the weekend. A factory shouldn't care if you're mowing on won't be in their way and vice versa. Just play worship tunes while your riding those ones : )
  8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been at my current job for 8 years now and have SLOWLY with CASH(up unitl i bought the Warrior) been growing slowly. I've seen a LOT of guys in this area come and go during that time. They jumped in head first, leveraged themselves up to their eyeballs in debt to get started and then went belly up..Or they have family behind them with deep pockets to bail them out. I just can't bring myself to give up the day job...I insurance for my family is $550 A YEAR with a $2500 deductible! Where are you going to beat that? 401k that matches 100% up to the first 4%...that's FREE MONEY! Plus our vacation is set up where we can take it an hour at a GREAT for me! Last year, I took off nearly EVERY Friday at noon to go mow and then I had all day Saturday and then Sunday afternoon AFTER church. PLus I would always mow Monday-Thursday after I got off from work at 3:30 until it gets dark. I agree with the majority of the folk here. NEVER drop a job cold turkey until you have this thing established and you are SURE it is what you want to do. What if you turn in the two week tomorrow and this summer there's a drought? Ol 9-5 doesn't look near as bad now.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Fridays and Sat's are fine but Sunday:nono: :nono:
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I typically only mow my yard and the one on either side of me and my parents yard on Sunday afternoon AFTER church and BEFORE Sunday night service...Not keeping me from serivces! :) I have to be there! I' mthe song leader :)