1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Part time?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Big Heath, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Big Heath

Big Heath LawnSite Member

Has anyone have a full time job or have a full time job other than lawn maintenance? I want to get started in the biz but am only limited to 4 residential acounts as of now. How many do you or did you have when you decided it was cool to be full time. I am ready to get away from the factory!:clapping:
  2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I just spent 35K and have no customers. That's one extreme I guess. I also know that I will make a profit this year regardless and I have a stash in the bank to get me through. It all depends on who you are and how you're positioned in life. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  3. BLS 2002

BLS 2002 LawnSite Member

Keep your full time job until you get more established. I've been doing this part time for 4 years. Just recently went part time from full time on the job end. Had a few chances to grow but held back. This year I'm not.
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Post some pics please. Lets see what 35k netted you.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

most people make little to no money the first couple of years..sorry wski4fun, but its true....get the equipment as you aquire the customers....grow slow...

good luck
  6. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but no pics. Most of it went to the truck. Add the wright standard and all the other equipment, tarps, barrels, ect. it adds up fast. Still need to get a plow, hoist for the bed, and leaf sucker. I know most don't make money the first year but I know my market extremely well and although I won't pay everything off the first year I will be able to pay all my bills and have a little left over to put gas in the boat and buy a few lobsters and beer. Can't forget the beer.:drinkup: :drinkup: