part time

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by larryinalabama, Mar 21, 2008.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

How many part time guys out there? Do you plan to go full time?

2. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Larry, I am hoping to be full time in 09. I went to second shift last year (3-11) to start this with my son. It is still cold as a witches lip here so I have not started yet this year but I am getting calls so thats cool. I plan on running ads soon.

3. larryinalabama

Cool, I plan on part timing it for at least 2 more years, currently Im putting all my profits into my business. Im looking at a couple of Box trucks. The biggest reason Im waiting 2 years is because IM building a new house and remolding anither house by myself, I want to finish so I can spend more time building my business.

4. paul vroom

thats awesome Larry, good luck with the house. We pretty much feel the same, I am not going to leave my job to struggle when I do not have to. But the thought of this full time drives me. I have a couple more things to buy but for the most part I think I have it almost covered. check out my thread about "is this genius or nuts". Thats my truck, I am going to try and make a cheap dump for it. A real dump is a couple years off I think...

5. larryinalabama

Good idea, that feller with the trailer deal looked good. Right now i just mulch leaves and generally put them into peoples gardens. I have to study the leaf issue more as time goes on. Im loosking at possible one of those cyclones or some kind of mulcher. For now I just due with what I have.

The thought of full time is also driving me nuts also, but I need more time to build more customers.

6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I am part-time and at one time I could see myself going full-time. For now I will stick to what I am doing, making a decent living at sales and doing lawns a few nights a week. For residential lawn care, this will be the worst year in a while. Alot of competition and many people will be cutting their own yards. If I went fulltime, I would mix in some commercial accounts for sure. The only piece of equipment I am missing now is a ZT, if I buy one with the profits from this season, I may go fulltime next year.

7. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Part time here we have 2 com and 20 res I dont see how I could go full time and pay Insurance

8. paul vroom

kjs thats the truth. Insurance is crazy now. In mass its about 13,000 a year for a low end family plan. I think insurance scares me more than anything.

9. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Retired Military, working for CSX full-time and cut grass part-time. I would love to go full-time. Just need a push over to the next level to get going!

DJ-

10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea part time here also, been part time for four years now, was going to go full time this year, but I want to wait the gas wars out for this year. I do ALOT of sub work out from a big landscape company. I like doing that because I get a check every month for sure, no jerkin around. I have some of my own customers also. I have all the equipment paid for and my truck will be paid for in three months. I also need insurance, that is why I stay with my full time job:confused: I have four girls:hammerhead: Health insurance kills you for sure.