Part - time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilderness Lawn, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Wilderness Lawn

Wilderness Lawn LawnSite Member

Does anybody do this part-time, what I mean is get home @ 6pm mon-fri just work evenings and weekends. If so how does it work for you ?

2. g-scapes

g-scapes LawnSite Member

Hey, new guy here to the site. This is my first year in the industry, and yeah, I have a full-time 40 hours per week job, and then hurry home to head back out and do what I love to do. Tonight, I will be gone and mowing before my wife even gets home from work. It works out nicely because she is supportive and helps me out however she can, even getting out there and mowing also on the weekends. Planning on going full-time with this next year.

3. Wilderness Lawn

Thanks for the info, I hope to start partime this spring and go from there

4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 40 hr per week job along with the 11 lawn accts. I just bring my trailer with me to work and at five change clothes and go mow can mow about 3 a night and still have some time with my wife and new baby girl. Hopefully I can triple or even quadruple the amount lawns I do this year and go full time next year.

5. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm a part timer and can bust out my accounts usually in one weeknight. SOmetimes I finish up first thing Saturday morning. My advice, start out slow and learn from your mistakes. At the beginning of this year Ionly had two accounts. In Sept. alone, I've picked up 4 more accounts. Let your work speak for you, word of mouth travels fast.

6. DANGUNMAN

DANGUNMAN LawnSite Member

I started this year and have 10 yards and a yearly contract on a graveyard.I also run my own construction business full time and manage an indoor firing range in my spare time[I've put in for 36 hr. days , because 24 isn't enough]The yards bring in approximately $500 per week and that more than pays my new 61" scag payment each month.I plan on going full time eventually because the mowing is a little easyer on me than block and brick work[My son and I were involved in a 55 mph head-on collision last Nov. and I have 3 crushed disc in my neck]and I really enjoy mowing and landscaping.Hope everything goes well with your business.
    Dan.
    Where good men do nothing , Evil will flourish. :cool2:

7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

In the same boat as SPCFoor here too.
    Work the full time job, and mow at night, a few each day, and saturday morning. this way, can get home to spend a few hours with my family before the boys go to bed. I figure a few years part time, learning and growing, and then when they start school, mom goes back to work, and we try to switch to full time! can't wait for that day for sure!

it is rough, and it is tiring, and that's why I will be proud when the day comes. Why celebrate if it took no work at all, anyone could do it!

8. Wilderness Lawn

For those of you who cut in the evening and weekends, do your customers mind you cutting when they are home? Is it harder to land new accounts because you are part-time?

9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I work 40 hrs a week, and mow/landscape part time as well....I have 2 large commercials that take 8 hrs to do both, and 35 homes this year....If I can get 15 commericials and about 60 homes next year, full time will be around the corner

10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

As far as customers minding me mowing while they are home, I am up front about when I will be coming to mow. A few I originally had for saturdays, I now do on thursday night to avoid doing it while they are home. Being part time, you have to expect to not get some customers because of this, but for the most part, the quality makes up for it.