1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Part Timer or Real LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Feb 10, 2004.

Part Timer or Real LCO

1. Part Timer

34 vote(s)
  2. Full Time LCO

66 vote(s)
  3. Weekend Warrior

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Many of the opinions expressed by part-timers are skewed by the fact that they have supplemental income & security. Once your LCO becomes a full time venture, either solo or w/employee , certain realities & revelations soon become apparent & decisions & opinions are drastically altered.

For this reason there should be section of LS designated for Part-Timers.

To better understant the current mix between Part Timers & Real LCO's on LS, I would ask you vote in this poll.

Thank You.
  2. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

Thank You for your participation.

I am guessing we have on LS a fairly even split between Part Timers & Real LCO's.

One must realize that a full time LCO has entirely different concerns & liabilities affecting their decisions than someone who is simply using Lawncare for supplemental income.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Great thread Fareway. Moonlighters on here don't have to worry about things such as health insurance premiums when they are covered by their other job or spouse.
  4. Jim H

Jim H LawnSite Member

Hmm...part time vs. full time. I think I fit into both. I recently quit my very well paying, highly secure, and insurance-paid job to become a LCO. Just got sick of working for the "man" and wanted to take a chance while I was still young. I officially have 2 accounts! Woohoo! Worked off the books through my high school years for the neighborhood, but no real "professional" experience. I am incurring all of the "full-time" costs you talk about, but only work part-time (well actually I could be considered unemployed at this point). My wife does well (not enough to support us both) and I am insured for health through her. Still have to pay for CGL insurance as well everything else associated with a "full-time" gig.

So what does that make me? Please don't say unemployed! :D

BTW...this site is incredible!! Thank you all who post topics and replies. I think if you are smart enough, full-time or part-time, you will take what you read here, do research, do some more research, and then make an educated decision on your own about that topic.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What exactly is your definition of a full time LCO?
    Is a full time LCO one that has a spouse that makes $50,000+ a year and is carrrying the family benefits, and will still have money to fall back on if their business takes a plunge?
    Maybe your poll should have included "Full time LCO with Spouse that has full time job and carries the bennies"
  6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess you might call me a part-timer. I do work 30 -50 hrs per week, though. Maintenance, 20- 25 hrs per week, and landscaping the rest of the time, which varies every week depending on the jobs. On the side I am a career firefighter. So between both jobs I put in (during the season) about 80 - 100 hours per week. Does not sound part-time.
  7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i am with Shuter. What makes someone a P/T er? The number of lawns,money,hrs? Please tell me. i work around 35 hrs as LCO anf around 45 PLUS as chef.
  8. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

Chefdrp, You are a Part Timer.

If you have to supplement Lawncare income you are not a Real LCO making Real LCO decisions.

Wives who bring in supplemental income & benefits that you can "fall back on" such as Jodi also disqualify you as a Full Time LCO. If your wives income is not a "fall back" you may vote as a "Full Time LCO".

Thank You.
  9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a little confused as to what to lable myself as also. I am a full time student but I also call myself a full time LCO. I am young so I don't have all of the expenses as a family but I do pay for a house, truck payments, taxes, insurance... and all those other fun things. I also have both full time and part time employees. I am going to school for my horticulture degree so I def. plan to be in this field my whole life by choice.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Hey now, get it right. ;)
    I'm not sure what you are saying about me but we are a full time LCO that supports ourselves and our two children without any other form of income. We have nothing to fall back on if our business should take the plunge. Nothing except what we have set aside and saved that is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.