1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Part Timers - How many accounts do you have?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, Nov 24, 2004.

Number of Accounts

1. 1-10

2. 10-15

3. 15-25

4. 25-35

5. > 35

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I am a part timer and i was trying to guesstimate how many accounts i can handle next season. Please vote and let me know what you guys do. I know that many of you are high school students, but that will not really help me. High school or college students have a lot more free time that the part time LCO's that have a full time job like myself.

Also, please let me know if you are solo or work with someone else. Also, do you work on weekends or you leave the weekends for small landscaping projects and cut grass only on work days. Thanks a lot.
  2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Part timer after I get off my Full time 9 hrs x 6 days a week. I maintain 30 properties with 1-2 helpers. Grass and shrub trimming and limited pinstraw installs. March-Oct, 5-6 days a week from 5:00 till dark. Nov-Feb when I can squeeze it in. weekends and days off from full time job. Lets just say I burn a lot of vacation time during the winter months trying to stay afloat.
  3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Work full time until 4 pm, and work wed-fri at night, and weekends if need be. been busy all year with the 11 weekly mowings, and extras which have been great money. would like to grow to 15 or so next year, but need to improve efficiency to do so (larger mower). great size to stay part time, but goal is to go full time, so time to expand.
    very stressful though working all hours the sun is up, so to succeed, you sure need the drive!
  4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I have about 40 accounts and am a full time engineer but I have someone who works for me so I only work on average about 5 hours/week throughout the season.
  5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

That's very good. The person that works for you.....how many hrs a day do they work? Weekends too? you work only 5 hrs a week? that is really good.

What kind of engineer are you? EE, ME?
  6. AllStarLawnCare

AllStarLawnCare LawnSite Member

This is an interesting poll to look at, but I don't think it will help you very much. Some people only have accounts in one neighborhood, there is a difference in equipment and in employee count. You'll have to figure it out for yourself what you can do in the hours you have available.
  7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

He averages around 33 hours per week over 34 weeks. If I have a big job that I need to work with him on we usually do it on a sat. I am a ME.
  8. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

I'm a full time paid firefighter and work 24 on and 48 off. I'm just starting my lawn service but hope to have about 25 to 30 weekly accounts by mid May. There are about 20 firefighters at my dept that are lawn boys. One of them has 57 accounts that he mows weekly by himself. He is a hustler on a 60" exmark. All of my buddies said that they would give me a couple of their accounts so I could jump right out with 20 to 30 accounts but they are all of their PITB accounts. I declined and will find my own. I already have 3 full time and have only had my equiptment about a month.
  9. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am at school 5 days a week and have summers off. I am in highschool. I am managing 29 customers within a 1.5 mile radius in my neighborhood and the one next to mine. I love to have a trimmer guy next to me at all times but its not possible because of my weird schedule. It takes about 15 to 16 hours to service all of my clients each week but much less with a guy next to me. I do some landscaping, but mostly in summer when I have school off.
  10. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

i have 70 accounts and i only work 4 days a week, if thats considered part time