1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

part timers question about help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Mar 9, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I currently cut grass from 4:30 til dark during the week and do shrubs and stuff on Saturdays. I can get 2-4 yards done per day depending on size. I have a friend that wants a partime job after work and would like to work with me from 5:15 to dark. My question is to you guys who have tried this before. Do you think i would be able to do enough yards for this to benefit me, or would i just be increasing the yards just enough to pay him. I usually am pretty close to $1/min at the job working alone and he would make $10/hour.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try It!! Its the only REAL way to find out. Plus he might be able to help you in an emergency.
  3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

What do you have to lose?? Just be up front w/him.He could help out in a pinch,vacation or burnout. I'm doing the same in a very slow kind of way esp. for family vacations etc.:cool:
  4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

You can't ALWAYS do it by yourself...
    Like the time I broke my collarbone...
    But that is another story!
  5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

It might be nice for emergencies. But an every day thing might not work out. That 5:15 will be 5:45 in a week or two. Then what will you be doing from 4:30 till then? Probably be doing less work than you are now.
  6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

John...... What the hell is that a picture of under your name?????

Auburn, If you pick up 3 more $30 -$40 accounts per night. The part timer will help ya get em done. Your payin him $30 - $40, an you will make an extra $50 plus a night.

Expand yer horizons......
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

8. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You could try it but maybe increase your workload on Saturday and make a full day of it, can be more productive that way. Many properties (Banks, businesses) are done on Saturdays. But remember, once you have extra work and if he gets tired of working after work and the weekends then you still have the burden of doing it yourself or hiring another person again. If it were me I'd say "Sorry man, I'm a one man show and just don't have enough work for two people. Could I call you to help on big jobs" I've seen a lot of acquaintances who wanted to earn some extra money, until they get burnt out after a few weeks or the weather turns hot and then your stuck by yourself again. There are the exceptional workers who do stick around, so you have to know your friend. Work and friends don't always mix.
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i would try it-but be upfront with him at the start and tell him that you will try it out and see how it works. also-tell him that in the event that it dosent work, it has nothing to do with him, just the elements of the biz.

i think that this is your best bet since your not really sure how its going to help/hurt you at this point. most likley it will be fine, but this gives you a way out in case its not.
  10. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I will see how many calls i get over the next month and go from there.