Partime & Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by topcat, Mar 25, 2004.

1. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

For those working lawn mtce only part time are you having a hard time getting liability insurance? If not who are you covered under. I tried to get added coverage through my now current Erie Insurance agent and he said they won't write a policy unless you can show 3 prior years of prior coverage loss results and you plan on operating full-time. Agent says Erie isn't interested. I have had two vehicles and home owners insurance through Erie and this agent for 5+ years and it appears it's time for a new agent and insurance company! Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Farmers Insurance Agent

I pay a hair under $500 anually for:
    1) One full time liabiltiy at $1million
    2) $10,500 worth of eqiupment
    3) $4,000 trailer

No problem. . . in fact, I was only 18 when i got the policy

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

you may have to go with an independant insurance agent for a few years.If you do that with no claims,any insurance company should take you.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I've got American Family for 1mil/2mil for about $380 per year.
    Part time here, didn't seem to matter much. It's just less time I have a chance of something going wrong on the job, so it's better for them! Might want to consider them.
    solo operator only, plus inland marine.

5. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

I had a terrible time getting insurance my first year because I was
    part time. You can try an independent rep, that's what I did. He
    got me coverage through nationwide. Now policy is about $750
    per year for $1mil liability and inland marine combined. I have about $30,000 in equipment and this includes snow removal. So
    it is not too bad.

6. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

I'm from the buffalo area and i only do this part time ,call 681-0388 there in cheektowaga there prices are ok get a quote,good luck

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Haulers Insurance Co. out of Columbia Tenn. I got it through Independent agent. I am part-time.

They will quote you a cheaper price if you don't have a sign on your vehicle.

8. kr_straight

kr_straight LawnSite Member

I have run into the same problem but, an inpendent insurance company located in washington, Pa said they I could get their premium plan which was $500,000 liability for $500 dollars a year. I've been mowing for six years part time every summer, it is my first year trying to get insurance.