parting is such sweet sorrow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 19, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yesterday, yet another customer from the past called, and invited me back. this customer is one that i dumped 2 yrs ago, didn't even give him a reason, just stopped showing up. though my real reason was, i was tired of chasing my money. i drive by weekly, and chuckle as i see the lawn and shrubbery looking worse, and worse. what a shame :cry: . anyhow, this has to be the 6th or 7th person this season that was dumped over the last couple years, and asked me to come back. i see a pattern here??? anyhow, i'm personally pleased with this, and even a bit surprised. i thought gone was gone. taking into consideration my rude behavior, my surcharges, my higher fees, and my "zero tolerance" policy, i'm surprised they call me back. but, as i stated, i am pleased. so my question is, for you guys in the business many years, is this common? everybody loses customers one way or another from time to time, but is it common for them to come back? or have you noticed that gone means gone for good? here was the call by the way, i loved it, " bob this is mr. jones from xyz street. you used to take care of our property. you stopped showing up for your own reasons i guess. the place is in bad shape, the guy who replaced you doesn't do fertilizing, he doesn't even edge the walkways, and now he's telling me he is not cleaning leaves this year. i need you back here, if you are interested. do whatever you have to do to get this place looking inhabited again. then i'll need you steady like before. let me know if you're interested, work up a price, stop by and get a check. look foward to hearing from you."

2. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

good to hear that you are getting the customer back ...Thats what good work will do for you :drinkup:

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess they've gone through all of the other LCO's and are starting to go through the list again...
    Just like if an old girlfriend called, they'd better be ready to get boinked.
    Crawdad

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had some calls after being the dumper, or after being the dumpie. I have never tried to be mightier than the prince of rude. My policy is to never rebuild the bridge. You only get one shot. There were times when I considered a box of roofing nails to the drive way, but I never took revenge. Just knowing I'm a happer person is enough. I don't seem to have time to worry about them much these days. Be strong and move on to a healthier fun life.

5. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We have found that people never change! If we dumped them for declined cards, a new card wont fix the problem. If it is quaility issues, whether we on the dumpee or dumpor, it won't be better when you take them back. So, once they make it to our no resign list, and they call...we feel good that we were right, but no thanks, no more pain from that customer, just move on to the next!
    MJ

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

aside from the warm feeling of being right, I have to agree. Very few people change from their habits, bad or otherwise.

It is only a matter of time before they become annoying again and their are way too many accounts to deal with known PITA's.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good point justmowit, i never thought of it that way. can a leopard change its spots?

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a big job for a PITA lady. She had work done to here place and the supply trucks had to go up you lawn to deliver things because of her septic systems. Well they basically made another driveway up her lawn. I had to till the "new driveway", bring in 20 yards of top soil and I graded the front and back lawn, reseeded and fertilized. She didn't want me to to do the lawn care so i gave her instructions on maintaining the new grass. I passed by the next year and saw that, that drive way was back and the lawn and tons of divots...... I got out and no longer have the same # so i'm not sure if she looked for me but it's amazing how people find lower prices and think it's best for them.....

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, As pointed out you will probably have the same issues with the client all over again. Unless you really need the account just move on unless you can get them to prepay each month then go for it.

Gravely_Man

10. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Call me a Candy - A$$, but I believe in giving folks a second chance. (Aren't there times when you would want one?) Not just in Lawn Care.

Sometimes people don't realize what they have; until they lose it!

Bobby, I would take them back, but would be very explicit on what your expectations are!

Obviously, your work speaks for itself and some people take some time to appreciate your efforts!

You can always dump them again, if it doesn't work out for you.

The way I see it, you have nothing to lose, but something to gain!
    :waving: