Partner ? Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Guest

I was wondering from the people that don't have partners and the people that do. Good, Bad? what do you guys think
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

My guess is probably doesnt work more than it
    does work.
  3. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I'm getting married at the end of March... is that what you're talking about?

Seriously, though. I think a business partnership would be WAY too difficult, in most cases. Having said that, I am working with a buddy on landscape installation jobs as a "partner". So far, so good. We're fairly like-minded when it comes to money, working hard, doing more rather than the minumum... etc. I guess it just all depends on the partners.
  4. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Me and my partner work together extremely well. We actually worked together at a larger operation and respected each other from the start for one anothers work ethic, love of the industry and business smarts. We were not freinds before this, which I beleive made it easier to be much more objective about our decision. I think the best thing about our relationship is that each of us has strengths and weaknesses which we use to our advantage. I graduated with a business degree and feel comfortable doing all of the financial/bidding work. He is a great people person and loves to connect with the customers as well as take calls/keep people happy. Although we know that we could probably make a little more money on our own, it would be much more work for each of us and a hell of a lot more boring out there by ourself each day.
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We just had a discussion on this not too long ago, do a search and you should come up with plenty of opinions on this topic. The consensus was mostly against them but each situation is different and you have to apply accordindly, good luck.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think id be way too picky to have a partner. if its not done right, and done my way, id flip out
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been approached by friends wanting to partner up. If I was in their shoes I would want to partner with me also. If you have no accounts and not much money, why not use my hard fought blood, sweat, tears, and time to come in and start off making decent money. Well, no thanks. I will work with them on some things and help them out if I can, but why should I split what I have created?
  8. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

There is no way in the world I could ever have a partner. I am a total control freak and it would never work. There are lots of people who it does work for though, I have seen it. For some people it may even mean the difference between success and failure. You have to decide which type of person you are or just find out the hard way. My guess is, if you are like me, you will definitely know it.
  9. jay

jay LawnSite Member

Like you heard in these posts it works for some and others no way. It really depends on what type of person you are and your realationship with your partner. If you get a partner just remember youll never agree on everything, so try to work out as much as you can before you start and be ready to split your profits, this makes for that many more accounts youll need to aquire.

Good luck
  10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a partner ....and BOTH have to bring something to the plate that the other lacks or is weak in ......have to be open to what was just said above as you will NOT get YOUR way all the time ....but a second opinion in any situation must be discussed together and respect of the others opinion must not be take personal.....

I'm luck my partner & I have alot in common and our friendship comes FIRST ...... as we were friends for years before this .....but I've seen about 8 out of 10 partnerships split