partner went AWOL. what to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Oct 28, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

as the title states, my partner went AWOL and i haven't heard from him for 5 days and he hasn't help cut for over 3 weeks. i've been keeping all of the money for myself less the employee help pay. my situation is what should i do? he owns half the equipment. should i keep working and using his half owned equipment and keep all the money for myself? is there a way to get his half of the stuff? also, my helper wants to buy my partners half of the business. i'd like to own the whole business without wondering where my partner is also. sorry for all the ranting, i just need some advice from the people thats been in my situation. thanks.

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

First, make sure he's not in the hospital, the morgue, or in jail. Then, I'd keep working for the time being.

3. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

keep the money minus the gas and the helper

when i had a partner that is what we did
    if we couldn't be there

now if the helper is by himself and he is doing all the work then that money was split between us

4. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Contact your attorney, remember your partners anything you make he can still claim half.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The first thing my entrepreneurship professor in college taught us was that partnerships are a bad idea. They are doubly bad if there are not written agreements specifying various things such as how it will be dissolved and the duties of the partners.

6. lawnwizards

thats the understatement of the year on my part. i think hes mixed in with drugs. i oughta catch him when hes loaded and have him sign over his part of the business for $100 dollars. :p

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what does the contract say happens to the partners share in the event he is unable to continue his duties?

8. lawnwizards

thats the problem. we don't have a written contract. what we did was split everything down the middle. everything we bought has been 50/50. i'm sure if hes on drugs then i could probably buy him out for $1000.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

have an attorney prove he his incompetent and unable to continue his duties and offer a buy out.

start using contracts for everything, customers and employees too!

and stop by iowa on your south dakota trip.

10. lawnwizards

i'll definitely start the contract thing. i've been burnt too many times... by the way, whats in iowa i should see?