partners in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clcare, Nov 17, 2005.

1. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of starting a lcb and landscaping in Michigan, any help, advice or anyone interested in a possible partnership please reply or P.M. me.

2. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

i don't think the lco's in the detroit area would aprecciate you jumping the bridge to do work. i live on a border town as well and we have an unwritten rule that we stay on our own side to do business... it's just a respect thing that all the companies have around here.. could be different there.. good luck.

3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

scott don't get me wrong, I am not jumping the border to steal work from a U.S. citizen, and bring my canadian equipment and emploees' to the U.S. i will hire locally and buy equipment locally and lease property locally, creating jobs not stealling them.

4. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search about partnerships, this has been talked about alot. All I've got to say it that they just don't work

5. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I've seen alot of guys start as best friends and partners splitting equally, but after a couple of years they were at each others throats. Now they're both on their own and don't even speak. Can't imagine it was that bad of a situation, but it must have been. Also I live here in Michigan about an hour south of the Sarnia / Bluewater bridge and everybody and their brother has a company here. But there is alot of building going on here. I don't see a problem with you trying or even going ahead and doing, just remember theres a lot of competition and things probably operate a little different here. Both with the goverenments and the security at the borders.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to see what legal hoops you have to jump before you spend much time on this. It can be a pain to cross the border especially if you happen to have tools or equipment in your truck. I work on both sides for my day job and it's a hassle almost every trip over.