Partners

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sunstate Lawn, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

I know that some of you have some horror stories about partnerships. What can a new partnership do to prevent a fallout?

2. pusher21

pusher21 LawnSite Member
    from bolton

in for info as well as I am considering a partnership too:canadaflag:

3. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

I think good communication would be a great place to start and an understanding of what is expected from each other.

4. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

john has it right on

but even still as you go into new ventures the rules have to be discussed over and over again..... i have some professional partnerships, but never would go into a biz partnership

usually never ends pretty

Nate

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The partnerships I see that work, they all are NOT 50-50 splits. I think for things to work you really need one of the partners to be 'in charge'. One guy I know has a company (not an LCO) he has 2 partners and it's a 60-30-10 split. They all 3 have their say but one guy has more to say so to speak.

There also needs to be some clearly defined roles each partner must fulfill. I've seen partnerships where both partners are doing the same thing basically. Each person should have his own area of authority, expertise.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Assuming you perform the work together and equally...& if your partner adds 30 lawns to your 30 lawns...you'll essentially make the same money you would have by yourself...and do a LOT more driving.

Moral of this story: Find a partner who will add his 100 lawns to your 30...and who will also split the profits. :D

While there are mutually profitable partnerships out there, they are likely the exception rather than the norm...more horror stories than victories.

There is some obscure security in partnerships...and may it be the true kind, and not false.

Good Luck!

7. pusher21

pusher21 LawnSite Member
    from bolton

yea I am leaning towards a solo venture but I am just considering a partnership. But i like the 60-40 type idea

8. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

DO NOT DO THE PARTNERSHIP!

Start off as a Solo Operator, and hire an employee if you need to. PM me for more details/stories if you want (I was in a partnership for a while).

-Mitch-

9. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

Let me be more specfic. What can two people who are already new partners do to ensure a long lasting relationship.

10. bloomlandscapeanddesign

bloomlandscapeanddesign LawnSite Member
    from 07039

PARTNERS ARE FOR DANCING ONLY!! I have been in, set up and gotten out of quite a few partnerships.

# 1-never do 50/50- someone will always complain about the other doing something or not doing something.

# 2-If you MUST partner then it shoud be done by the old motto: YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! Which means, expenses should be broken down to a percentage. AND the income should not. You get 100% of what you do.PERIOD!

# 3 DONT PARTNER
    # 4 DONT PARTNER
    # 5 DONT PARTNER
    # 6 DONT PARTNER

HOPE THAT HELPS