Partnership.Yes or No

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fireguyva, Mar 11, 2006.

1. fireguyva

fireguyva LawnSite Member

This guy I know approached and asked about me being partners w/him.( lawn maint and landscape) He and another guy are doing it now. Neither of them are friends of mine. That is a plus for me. Not interested in being partners w/ friends. Any way. What types of questions should I ask of him before making a decision. I am one of those firefighters trying to throw my hat in the ring. I have 7 yrs total experience w lawn maint. Been out off it for about 10 yrs. Don't know what I should do...
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Gee I don't know..if you don't know them closely and there are already two partners..I would wwonder why they need a third..would you be a working partner or a investing partner or both?
  3. fireguyva

one guy is moving to florida and the guy that asked me is staying here. I would be active working partner
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search because this has been brought up before. I don't think you will like what your going to read with partnerships.
  5. fireguyva

the thing that brought it up was he asked me if i did anything on my days off since i only work what adds up to be only 10 days a month at the firehouse. I told him i was considering cutting grass again and he hit me with the partnership thing... I would like to do my own thing that way i am oweing to no one and i can do it my way...
  6. Ollie3

Ollie3 LawnSite Member

I think you are better off doing things your way. I dont agree with partnerships, unless it's with your wife. I know I used to sub-out big hardscape jobs to a friend of mine before I could handle them and he asked me to be his partner and I said no. Partnerships rarely work. Just my opinion.

7. fireguyva

i was thinking the same thing but it sounded really tempting. He asked what i was wanting to make per week, I said $400-$500 gross. He said i could do that with him. That's what got my attention. However i know that the way things are going here in Williamsburg. I can do that easy with some dedication and hard work on my own...
  8. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

second what ollie said. You will never be happy with a partner!!
    Un hhmmm
  9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of a partnership see the value of having contacts in the industry. You need help you can call on him and vise versa. There was a good article in Lawn & landscape magazine awhile back about the benefits of independent businesses recognizing the value of the professional contacts.
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you only want to make $10 per hour ($400 per week) why not just get a job as a laborer with a lawnservice company?