Partnership

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EMackIV, Dec 3, 2003.

1. EMackIV

EMackIV LawnSite Member

I have read a lot of things on here telling the horror stories about working with a partner but I was just wondering if it would be a smart idea to get a partner to start with to help with start up costs?? I have worked with a partner for the last couple years but want to start getting more accounts and really getting into the business (have not had good experience with partner). Thanks for the input.

2. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

don't do it. its not worth any short-term gains you may have convinced yourself of. if you insist, pay a good lawyer their retainer to draft an airtight contract fulfillment (or breach of) statement. ask me how i know this.....

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

2 things I know about partners.

There will either be problems when the money fails to come in or there will be problems when the money does come in.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

As you may hear from a lot of people on here, I was in favor of partnerships, since mine was working out for the first year. Now that the first year is over, my partner has decided to not continue next year. Luckily in our case, there was no hard feelings or loss of friendship over it. On the other hand, I don't think my case was the norm.
    On the other hand, I now am starting to like the fact that I alone make all the decisions according to how I think the business should be run. makes decisions like alotting money a heck of a lot easier, like towards advertising, equipment etc.
    If you can avoid it, it may be worth doing alone, but I won't say it can't work, it just probably won't.
    good luck eihter way,
    Rob