Partnerships: Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, May 22, 2004.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure this has been addressed at some point on this board in one light or the other (and no, I didn't do a search), but I was interested in hearing some input from some of you who have, or have had, partners, and how things worked out.

I've a close friend, several years my junior, who covered for me while I was on vacation this spring. Now I'm not mowing tons of property, as this is the first year in business, and I actually didn't get as aggressive with regards to new business as I could have, simply because I wanted to see how things went this first year. Anyhow, my friend did an excellent job, with no problems. He works full time as well, and has done custom haying for several years. He has mentioned the last couple of years that he would like to get away from the haying, except for his own. I could, on my own, handle approximately twice the accounts I now have (and do my day job on the milk route), but much more than that would be pushing me physically and mentally (I have approximately 10 hours a week work right now). I've no doubt the business can be built considerably next year, and we have informally talked about working out some kind of partnership if we can get adequate business.

I threw out to him the other day that we could get aggressive with marketing this winter, and if enough business is gained, I could buy a new mower, and he could buy my current one. I see some advantages to this, as we could bid on some larger jobs I would be reluctant to tackle working solo. Also, as I mentioned, he is quite a lot younger than I, and would be more interested in doing other jobs such as cleanups, etc. that I might not be interested in doing.

One question I have, for those of you who have dealt with similar situations is how you worked out the details. I would likely be the bookkeeper, as my friend does not care for paperwork. I was thinking if he bought a mower, trimmer, etc. we would each be bringing the same things to the table, which would make us equal in that regards. What I was wondering is how one would decide exactly how to split things up in the end, as I know it is impossible to keep the work load exactly 50/50. I was thinking perhaps something as simple as keeping the number of hours each of us actually worked, and using that to figure a percentage. I'm not sure that would be totally fair, though, as he will likely be faster at associated tasks such as trimming than I am. Perhaps I am trying to make things more complicated than necessary. I've always been reluctant to partner with anyone in anything before, because I know of horror stories, but this is one instance in which I am seriously considering it. He will be doing my mowing when I'm gone anyway, and will would likely help me some on an hourly basis some if I gained a significant amount of business.

Anyway, any thoughts? Neill

2. three words ...............DONT DO IT ..I was in partnership with my brothers we almost killed one another over the stupid biz.....if you want your friend to remain your friend ...dont do no partership....worse mistake i ever made in my whole exsistence on this planet

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah........don't do it.

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

No, No, No, No, No, No, and that's the bottom line.

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Not a good idea...I think you can start to see a pattern forming...

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i would never do it. never tired, and never will. im to selfish to share my co. hehe. plus what if you and your partner got into a fight!?!?!

its not worth it my man. never partner ship.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

If I robbed a bank with a partner I would shoot him when we got to the sidewalk.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

MY partnership is on its 7th year and were doing GREAT.:D

9. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

No...Wait till you both escape so you dont do time for robbery, and murder. get away..>Then shoot him.

Trevor

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If we get into a fight or one of us wants to retire or just get out,One buys the other out. Its all spelled out and for how much.