partnerships

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turbo5560, Mar 30, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

for those of you that are in partnerships, how do you work things out as far as pay goes. Lets say one may work a little more then the other at times and vice versa. Do you pay each other hourly or how do you do it?

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't like being partnered up maybe I'm greedy but friends can become enemies is business...

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

More trouble than there worth IMO.

4. turbo5560

well it's too late for that. I know there are pro and cons for both.... but besides that those that are partners how do you pay each other?

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with above posts. It's best to keep it in the family if you can. I had a partner years ago, but I was lucky..........he was and still is a good friend, but the partnership lasted just under one year.

6. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

Well did you both go in equal on any and all equipment? In the end, do you both work similar amounts of hours per say month?

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I hope a partnership works for you; However you must realize someone will always do more work in the other partners opinion, I held more than 65% of the business, and in my "failed" 2 partnership attempts. I always did the most work, and the Partnership paid 50/50 profit/loss. Is your partner fully vested?

8. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If your already in it together you should have already written those details out and agreed on them together. If you have not, it will be a short lived partnership.

Good Luck with it!

James

9. turbo5560

this will be the start of our 4th year. last couple years we have both put in about the same amount of time. This year is the first year that we will going into it full time. Last couple years we have both worked other jobs. The problem is this year we don't have a 100% full schedule so i will be doing some part-time work while my partner will be mowing grass because he doesn't have the option of a part-time job that is as flexible as mine. So lets say i work 40 hours a week and he works 50 hour, but the only reason i am working 40 is so that he doesn't have to have another partime job. Make sense?

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

If you keep track of hours worked your 40hrs, will pay less than his 50hrs. If you do it 50/50 salary, your getting the better deal. If this is your 4th year, of partnership something is working. I would be honest up front, My EX partnership sounds like yours, and I was the guy working the extra hours, my partner slowly kept cutting his hours back while getting that 50/50 salary, I finally snapped, gave him the ultimatum: either pull your weight, or your the @#&$!@ out. Good luck sounds like it could go either way.