1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Nov 13, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

has anyone heard of or is anyone here in a partnership with some one else. for example: me and another lawn jockey in town want to get to gether and he wants me to run mowing and lawn care part of the biz and he would do the insurense and fixing. i would get a percentage of what i do as my pay. basically i would be his contractor. he owns the biggest lawn equipment repar shop in the town. and he right now has a sizeable mowing company. he wants me and my friend to run the fertilizer, mowing, landscaping, sprinkler, ect. would any one have a good advise i could use while i think about this?
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I tend to think of partnerships in the same light as I think of hot coffee enemas. They are always a big pain in the azz - ALWAYS!
  3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Jim .. I have to ask ... is this something you have actually experienced ???
  4. JimLewis

No, but in light of how my previous "partnerships" went, I'd probably rather have gone through one of those instead. ;-)
  5. I would rather of had one opf those too, instead I am about in the clear of my partnership mistake almost 2 years later.

That would have been faster and less painless.
  6. JimLewis

Come to think of it. I bet there are a lot of guys on lawnsite who wouldn't mind initiating that procedure on me right about now! (thinking of another thread) Hehe.
  7. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

what was the thing that made every thing go south. details would be nice.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

DO NOT DO IT!!!!! i promise u, u will make an enemy for life. brief encounter i had with a partner: the agreement was, and it was in writing, that PROFIT, calculated on a monthly basis, was to be devided accordingly. months one and two, went terrific, month 3, shaky, unforseen equipment damage cost money, therefor lowering our monthly profit, therefor lowering his paycheck. month 4, blown tranny in the truck, same result as month 3, only worse. at this point he thinks im ripping him off, goes completely nuts. steals my edger and blower from trailer, tries to break into my garage but is scared off by a family member. dumps 2 bags of dilox near the river, and drops a handfull of my business cards next to them. calls dep and says i have a whole pallet of it in my garage , bags broken, leaky roof, chemicals spilling everywhere. need i go on? no partenerships period. i go alone, or not at all
  9. JimLewis

Personality conflicts are often the biggest problem. Also, unspoken expectations. You assumed the business would go this direction, he assumes otherwise. Power control. And in my case, the guy I partnered with was just plain nuts. I had been warned by customers who had dealt with him in the past but he wasn't showing me that side of him at all. I just thought the customers were exaggerating. Turns out they were all right. He went nuts on us one day out of the blue and then I began to find out all sort of other horror stories. He wasn't a bad guy persay. He just had way too many problems in his personal life and it was effecting his judgement and business life. And when things got bad for him at home he just went nuts on everyone.

Still, I just don't think it would ever work with me. I like to be in control of things. And I just wouldn't take too kindly to someone doing something different. Especially when I saw it as being bad for my business. I have only ever met one or two people who I thought MIGHT make a good business partner. But really, after all these years, I'd much rather do it all myself.
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This business is really just too easy to get started on your own with minimal investment and/or skill level to even think about a partnership. What are the benefits that could outweigh the downfalls? Do a search on this topic because it has been beat to death before.

I started this business with 99% of the reason being that I, I, wanted to call ALL the shots and control MY destiny. If I wanted to answer to someone else (besides my wife:)) I would continue to work for someone and leave the headaches there at 5:00 and go home.