Parts Availability

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by b & t lawn care, Nov 27, 2003.

1. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

We have a Chariot Jr. and have had problems in the past getting parts. Rep said that the parts are available, but after reading other replys on this forum, it still sounds like there are still problems getting parts. As we are considering purchasing another mower, this really makes us wonder whether we should purchase another Great Dane. Part availablity is the same as cash in your pocket in the sense of whether your machine is out working or sitting in the shop waiting for parts. It sure makes a person leary about Great Dane products after reading all the problems all the other Lawn Company's are having getting parts. After talking to our dealership and finding out that they are only required to carry $300 worth of parts on the shelf, this also lets a person know that you'll be waiting on parts. The Great Dane mowers are what their name implies....GREAT MOWERS....but part availability means making it or going broke. A person starts looking at "other" brands after awhile.

2. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

B & T Lawncare,

We realize that time is money to the commercial cutter and strive to excel in the areas of quality, parts support, and service. If you are having trouble getting parts we would like to know about it. We pride ourselves in support after the sale and realize that this type of support is what keeps you, the professional, coming back to our products. Parts have not been an issue and if your dealer is experiencing problems, please have him contact his distributor. Thanks for purchasing a Great Dane product.

Happy Holidays,

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I get my parts from j-thomas.com. i have totally given up on all of the dealers, and come to the conclusion that its a corporate problem. An oddball part here and there is one thing, but a blade belt for days on end????

4. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

lawnman_scott,

If you are having problems getting parts, I apologize. Please let me know which dealers you have been dealing with and I will get the distributor to look into the parts situation.

Thanks for using Great Dane products.

5. lawnman_scott

I wont use names, but the St pete dealer cant evan look anything up, his locater has been "down" for months. The tampa dealer will order a part, and you will wait up to 2 weeks for it, then get it and its a different price than you were told. The plant city dealer is great, but one hour and 15 min away, one way. Hudson, Zepher Hills never have anything. I once traveled to ocalla, 2 1/2 hour drive to get a used clutch off a mower that was involved in a fire. Why???? Because they were the closest dealer to have one, or able to get one that week. J-thomas, order today, early, and it will be here tomorow if you pay for 1 day air. Funny thing is, most times with the extra charge for 1 day they are still cheaper. The mower is great, well it was. Now its getting old, and old things break. Its not that parts need to be replaced, its that you cant get them. I can buy bearings at auto zone, blades, spacers, filters anywhere. But when i need a part like a belt or a pulley, and it takes days to get, or i have to travel 2 1/2 hours i have no patience. Parts availability is the only reason I will be looking at other types of mowers. This is not meant to bash your company, just truthful analys of a big problem i see with getting parts.

6. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Lawnman,

I will pass your message on to the distributor for the state of Florida. Have you looked on the dealer locator on our web-site to see if there are any other dealers closer to you. I appreiciate your imput and I will be looking into this problem.

Thanks,

7. lawnman_scott

Thats how i found a used clutch 2 1/2 hours away.