Parts delay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnjockey75, Jul 17, 2005.

1. lawnjockey75

lawnjockey75 LawnSite Member

Our company has used 60" Turf Tigers for about 5 or 6 years. We have an old 22hp that has 2500 hrs on it. We have another with 1800hrs on it. We have the newest, and none of us use the newest one. The mower is slow, heavy, and it breaks alot. I know it has the larger pumps for longetivity. When we order parts for the Scags, it takes three weeks to a month to get anything, everything is always back-ordered. We recently purchased a new Exmark 60"HP. I like the scags personally, but I believe over time the Exmarks are going to make us the most money. Has anyone had the same experience, or one related?
  2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

No we have never had that problem , nor even heard of that kind of problem. That is just not right. And you could also expect that when you run Deere. I just had to throw that in there. I cant believe that thou w/ a repitable co. lke Scag. Go figure I guess.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

This is where I get my parts. I think dealers are pretty much useless. Look at the online catalouge, there are lots of scag choices there.
  4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

You can get most JD parts within 2 or 3 days after being ordered, most of the ones ive ever had to get come in by noon the next day. You can beat Deere for parts and support
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What is the experience on charges for ordering parts? I'm small, but occassionally order a part from a dealer (Stihl -- no online, no catalogs). They often don't have the part, so must order it. When I pick it up, the charge is typically $7.50 for "special order" on anything over $15(?). I needed a $6.00 part a couple of weeks ago, not in stock, ordered it, and a $3.50 "special order" fee was added. There is an incentive to keep low stock on parts, and order so that a fee can be added.

Is this usual for dealers?

Usually I order from catalog, pay shipping, but delivery is 2 or 3 days.
  6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

i have deere parts on my door step the next day
  7. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

thats common for parts, Deere ships fed ex i think and passes the overnight shipping on to the customer, always been worth it to me. Last year right before a large snowstorm the 180 i have for pushing snow, the transmission died. I had the new one within 24 hours and had it in just as the snow began to fall