Parts room and in house repairs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

who all does their own repairs on equipment? those of you that do, do you keep parts in stock at your shop... so in a break down you dont have to run to dealer or order parts? we have a large inventory and can fix almost anything with parts we stock. we can even rebuild an engine over night from our inventory. we even have extra engines. how many others have this kind of capability? how many consider it to be important to have ZERO downtime year after year? even with trucks. do you have back ups? can you fix it yourself? just curious how all the other big businesses on here handle repairs.
  2. not any engines but, belts, spindles,,spark plugs, tires,tubes,electrical parts,bearings, trimmer parts, filters,.we can do quite a bit.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We usually stock filters and thats about it. We don't have breakdowns often enough to need to stock a bunch of parts and if we need something our dealers are only a few minutes away. We do a lot of our own repairs but we leave the serious stuff to the dealers.
  4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i'm working on building up a stock of parts but with exmarks you have the over night shipping. And i have a toro dealer down the road to get parts for my Z. right now i have filters, blades and oil in stock and thats it
  5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we pretty much have everything to rebuild any of our mowers other than a frame... it kinda sucks sitting on a few grand worth of parts but to know pretty much we have everything to get outta a jam is worth it...
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

We rely mostly on back-up equipment, for instnace we run two Z's daily and one sits in the garage as a back-up, if one breaks we push it to the side until there is time to fix it.

We have 4 trucks, and we run 2 daily, so if one breaks we can hook the mowers to another, until there is time to fix. I usually keep extra filter, belts, etc. We have a spare Turbo 400 Tranny in stock just in case, and spare 350, which I know is old school for most guys on here.

In a nutshell we do it all in house Engine rebuilds/swaps on the mowers whatever. Notthing I own has a warranty anyway. My Old man handles all of the Complicated stuff. To do this on a bigger scale you'd definitly ned atleast a parttime mechanic.
  7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

the thm350 is probably best tranny chevy ever made. buddy of mine rebuilds them for $400 parts and labor. just did the one in my 90 chevy which im selling to an employee. for you auto experts... that tranny is not stock on that truck. the truck is now on its second engine (one built by us) and 4th tranny and 2nd transfer case (all installed by us). my two fords, plus one i sold, are all original engine/tranny.

im a ford man!
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I got most of the small parts I need, no engines but oil, filters, atf and antifreeze, belts, boxes full of clips/pins/bolts/nuts/etc, grease guns, and specialty tools such as bearing and steering wheel pullers, among a few (torx bits, hex bits, reverse torx, 3/8's and 1/2 inch fittings for some, a torque wrench, etc, etc)...
    The nicest addition this year is a 38-gallon air-compressor with 2 pieces add up to 100-foot air line, all quick-connect tools and stuff, with dual regulators an inline filter and a mini-oiler, I get'm done... I even have the nice tire inflator with a gauge and an air-powered grease gun, the only thing I miss is an air-powered hydraulic jack (but they cost 500+) and one day I want a tire-installer kit so I can do my own tires... I do, however, fix flats myself.

Of course zero down time is highly important, I keep a spare of everything so if something breaks beyond what I can fix, I drop it at the dealer's and run home to pick up the spare... At least for my main line (grass-cutting) such is the case (2 mowers, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers).

The other thing helps is replace equipment before it gets too worn. I'm still working on this, but one day I hope to have nothing less than 2 years old (at least the mowers). Man you save a lot of time and bs with a new machine.

Far as the truck, if it fails it can be replaced but I do work on that as well.
  9. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

We have a couple of parts engines, a few belts, filters, rebuilt spindles...I guess nothing major, I have thought about it and would like to add more stuff.
    It would be nice to have everything in stock but the dealer is just around the corner-7 blks away.