Parts washer solvents

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJL50, Sep 13, 2006.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a parts washer. What kinds of solvent do you use and works well?

The box it came in says “Approved for Mineral Spirits” but the manual says “never to use mineral Spirits”

partswasher.jpg

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just go get you a bottle of degreaser and dump it in there. Maybe dilute it by 1/4th. How many parts per day are you going to be washing?

3. DJL50

This is for home use only. I have had luck with Simple Green to clean other things. Just wandering what brands of cleaner is good.

4. DJL50

Got got a message back from the MFG. of the tank. They said I should not use mineral spirits. Look like they should read their own box (pic below)

IMAGE014.JPG

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing :dizzy:

All I've ever put in one is mineral spirits....

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

I bought mine at Northern Tool.;) I use #2 diesel in it;) . Is that not a good idea?;)

7. DJL50

They said to only use a water based product. The package is not right and they have changed the info on the box.

8. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

If all of the parts washers that Northern Tool sells is like the one I've got, you can use mineral spirits in them. The reason they say use water based cleaning solution is on account of a safety factor. I think OSHA and some fire codes say that all parts washers that use a petroleum base solvent have to have a fusible link on the lid that will close it automatically if a fire should start inside the unit. This will put out the fire inside the washer and save you and your building. You can use the mineral spirits without any damage to the washer, just a fire safety issue.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

You mean that not all parts washers have the same lid-link safety feature?
    I figured it was "the law".

10. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

I don't think so Jim, you know most of the stuff Northern sells is made in China and they have their own way of doing stuff.....(not too concerned with operator safety over there) They might have to start putting them on the units if they are to be sold in the US. You might want to check yours since you are using #2 diesel in it, or just be extra careful.