1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

anybody know where my dad can get parts for a 6 or 8 cylinder hercules engine on a lincoln welder? (i dont know the cylinder number.)my dad ran it one day, and the exhaust manifold had a huge crack in it. he got the crack welded, and he has to grind on it a little and put it back on the machine. if it does not work, then he will need parts. any ideas, guys?:confused: :confused:
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't offer specifics, one reason being I'm from a foreign country, ;) but a couple of ideas: Have you tried contacting Lincoln directly? I'm not sure how old a machine you have, but it may be worth giving them a try. BTW, that must be a fairly big machine - the 400 amp Miller on "my" welding truck only has a 4 cylinder Continental for power!

Another option would be searching for a company that specializes in repairing that type of equipment. The Big40 Miller on my work truck has been "sick" with some engine trouble, we ended up taking it to a shop in Toronto (about 1-1/2 hours south) that specializes in welder/genset repairs.
  3. Robert Doubrava

lincoln does not make the engine. a different company does. my dad tried calling the company, and they went out of business!thats a big help! if it does not work, he will have to keep searching for parts. by the way, it is big! its got a 6 cylinder on it! that sucker is very loud. ive been around it 1 time while it was running.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You might try some of the companies that sell surplus military equipment and parts. I think Hercules built a lot of engines for the military.
    M&M Surplus Sales in N.Y. sells Herc. parts. Ph.718-828-9026.
    Sam Winer Motors, Inc., Akron, Ohio has them also. Ph.330-628-4881.
    I'm sure there are a lot more sources, I just found these two in "Rock& Dirt" , an equipment sales newspaper.
  5. Robert Doubrava

thanks, mowingman. ill keep them in mind.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got an old air compressor with a continental engine,I was able to get a head gasket thru Napa,for it.They made a lot fo engines at one time.
  7. Robert Doubrava

well, ya see, that engine is old. when i say old, i mean old ! an auto part store probably wont have the part, either. we would have to get it off of another piece of equipment.
  8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

9. Robert Doubrava

i forgot to mention a funny thing that happened. the machine had not been started in 1 or 2 years.so when my dad went to start it, he got it started, and a huge lizard came flying out the exhaust pipe!!it went flying into the trees, and never came down. just wanted to mention this funny happening.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Lizards no

Mice yes.

I always get mice coming out of stuff that has been outside and sitting for awhile. Always startles you a little. Of course the mouse is probably more startled.