1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paspalum Anyone???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ADMowing, May 7, 2002.

1. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I've searched for information on paspalum on this site and didn't find anything. We have one customer in a mobile home park who decided to sod the front yard with paspalum. So far this season, we've been able to take pretty good care of it. We use the rotary zero turn on it (no scuffing or turn marks) and it cuts it fairly neatly. Customer didn't level ground out before they put down paspalum, so we've got a couple of close spots where the blades get a little close. We don't like it too much, but not much we can do about it. I've read at the U of FL site about paspalum to cut it 1" to 1 1/2". Actually, it would scalp this lawn to pieces if we did that. I cut it on 2 and lift to 2 1/2 next to the road on the decline. Anybody else have experience with paspalum and can give advice?

Chemlawn is being paid by customer to take care of weeds, but we've pulled a few small weeds from the lawn (so they don't seed) before we cut. They also have irrigation and water once a week.

The lawn looks fresh and pretty all the time (nice and green) and our cut with the ZT looks real nice too! They've got St. Augustine growing right next to it on the side and I'd like to edge a line to keep runners off the Paspalum. Should I? Thanks in advance for any advice!