Paspalum?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by docjones, Aug 1, 2013.

1. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

I tried to upload this photo the other night with no luck. Hope it works now. Anyway, this grassy weed is all over this commercial property I have. I'm in transition zone with this lawn being mostly TTTF. I think it's paspalum but wanted your opinions. Is there anything available to control it? I figured since it's a commercial property, I might have more options than residential.

grassy weed.jpg

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Could you get a closeup of the seed head? It looks like a lot of weed grasses at that view point. Having said that, the three way mix of Acclaim, Turflon Ester and Tenacity is a possibility. Or test out Pylex.

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Seed head sure does look like DG....

4. greendoctor

I normally see DG with broader leaves. In Hawaii, DG leaves have dark purple edges. BTW, Ted, I put a bermuda lawn through two applications of Tenacity+Sencor. Crabgrass, goosegrass, and windmill grasses are toast. DG and paspalum conjugatum not so much. I get more out of high rate SU treatment for those two weeds.

5. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there are about 50 or so different kinds of Paspalum and Dallis Grass is one of them. So your options are limited may be the the new product listed at the top of the page

Charles Cue

6. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

A better picture would help but it looks like goose grass.

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

No I have worked at this site it's not goose Grass

8. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Relax Charles, I know it's not goose grass hence the " looks LIKE goose grass".
    I'm not much interested in giving an ID on one non closeup picture. Have at it.

9. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

Property was mowed within last three days. I'll take a couple more photos with close up of seed head ASAP. I'm almost certain this is Dallisgrass, which is, as you know in the paspalum family. Just typing that "D" word makes me nauseated.

10. greendoctor

In cool season grasses, I believe 3 applications of Pylex is the most selective thing. Otherwise, it is missile test site time with 2% glyphosate.