1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Passed my applicators tests,...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lastdetail14, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lastdetail14

lastdetail14 LawnSite Member

Would you guys give me a few recommendations. I have small yards, 1 acre or less. Would a pull behind be OK? Or, should I get a four wheeler set up? I can get all the parts at my local feed store. Should I just build it myself or buy a spray rig? Trying to get away from TG and competitors spraying my stuff. Feel like I'm just giving away money. Thanks for any and all help.
  2. GreenAcresFertCo.

GreenAcresFertCo. LawnSite Member

I would recommend a spray/spread unit, probably look for a nice used permagreen. We run Z sprays, but they are hard to find used, and you don't want to sink a bunch of money until you know if its going to last. You can find a decent permagreen at a decent price.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Your situation seems similar to mine. Getting into fert/squirts to run TG off of your mowing accounts and to take advantage of money on the table.

I am using a battery backpack/nurse tank set up this first season. But, I expect my lawns to be generally quarter acre or less. You have bigger lawns. That being said, I would probably say go the route of a small skid, maybe a 60 gallon one. Build your customer base 1st with it, then you can upgrade to a larger unit later.
  4. lastdetail14

thanks for the help.
  5. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

I have a z-spray walkbehind unit I would sell you. I used it this past season when I started. Have too many accounts now and need a bigger machine now. Call (662)396-1033 if interested. Posting in marketplace later today
  6. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

First off, congrats on passing the pesticide applicator exam. I would recommend a small skid unit as said before. You can buy a new one from Lesco for about $2800. You also may want to get a commercial push spreader. It would really make things easier for you. Plus you wont be out too much money.
  7. lastdetail14

My soon to be father-in-law wants to go in on a rig for his four-wheeler, mostly so he can can use it on his 5 acres but, I'll be able to use the whole setup whenever. Think I'll still get a back-pack sprayer. Anyone got anything against the shurflo SRS-600 rechargable backpack sprayer? $200 sounds like a good price to me.
  8. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Just make sure it is a minimum of 20 gallons as many pesticides require at least 20 gallons to be mixed into.