passed on a mower yesterday...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newtex, Jan 29, 2007.

1. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

I've been looking for a used walk-behind, and found a 36" 2001 Toro Pro-line for $1,800. It was a floating deck belt drive mower. I took $1500 with me to go look at the mower and he turned it down. I have 25 properties, all residential, and 4 of them are large (take me 2hrs+). Two of the large properties are on considerable hills. Should I go back and get this mower?
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

How many hours did the machine have? What size engine? That seems kinda high for a 6 year old machine! Was it used commercially?
  3. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

Yes, the machine was used commercially but as a back-up mower. It had a 14 horse Kohler engine. It might have been a 12 horse, I can't remember that part. There was no hour meter on the machine. I was thinking the price was a little high for the age of the machine. I'm just tired of pushing my 21's around.
  4. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Look in the latest edition of Turf. you can buy a brand new still in the create Red Hawk Mower with an 18HP Kohler, hyrdos, and 48" cut for 2000.00 Just 200.00 more for a brand new machine with 0 hours and you can put an hour meter on it and know from day one how many hours are on it. I have a Red Hawk and it is a decent machine. Not the top of the line but a good amchine none the less.... i will probably get flamed for this post but I like mine and I will probably buy another one this spring to have a second wb for my guys to use to knock out yards faster......
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

You could go out and buy a new 36" cut for around $2600 so why would you want to buy a used 2001 for $1800. I don't even think it would be worth $1200 let alone $1800.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Good call, it's probably a back-up now after being the main mower for several years...I would never even remotely consider that machine at that price.

Consider a new machine with a warranty and all.
  7. camden

camden LawnSite Member
    from SC

I agree, that much for a used belt drive is to much.
  8. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Lucky you he said no. Look on ebay or craigslist this time of the year for deals, you might find somebody with a going out of business sale on a lightly used, low hour machine.
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Too much.

I had the opportunity to buy a Ferris 32" HYDRO from a member here. 120 some hours, purchased in '05 I believe and he only wanted 1200 or so for it with extra blades and a metal grass catcher.

If anyone even pays the 1500 for it, they are getting ripped(no offense to you).
  10. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I found this one on craigslist. All of the WB's in this area tend to go for 1,500 and up, mostly up. Maybe it's my area. I'll just keep looking.