Passing out flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by R&R Lawn Care, Apr 27, 2006.

1. R&R Lawn Care

R&R Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I'm new to the biz and have a question concerning advertising with flyer's. I already have a flyer made up but should I put a price for my services on the flyer or have the customer call for a quote? I'm starting out with residential homes with average sized yards. Any help would be appreciated.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I am a firm believer in never quoting a price tell you look at the job.You want to know if the lawn is in condition to maintain at your basic price or if you are going to have to do a clean-up or double mow to get it in shape to maintain.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Personally I think if someone is interested in lawn service, they will call whether there is a price listed or not.
    Each lawn is different, I say price the lawn when you go on the estimate.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are trying estimate on the low side then put it on it will attract a certain type of customer. The largest residential lawn company in US puts their prices on....they charge more for bi-weekly and mows toward the end of the week.

5. R&R Lawn Care

That's kinda what I was thinking. I just wanted some pro advice!! Again thanks to all who replied...

6. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

why is it that they charge more for a bi-weekly cut?

7. R&R Lawn Care

I would think it would be harder to cut..?? I think I'm going to charge a little bit more for bi-weekly mowing...

8. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting every 2 weeks around here your not only going to kill your mower but your about going to have to double cut it or need a bailer. twice the work/time = twice the money or more.

For the org. question i wouldn't put prices on flyers. Best to just quote each property, walk it with the homeowner and see what their expectations are, price it accordingly.

All Clear

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with SHE, don't put in your price, you could say quality work at a fair price or something (unless your planning on being obscenely high) I always tell my customers we try and do a great job at a reasonable price and if we arent doing soemthing to par to please call us and let us know so we can remedy the issue. Sell your good points in your flyer, reliability,affordability, and dependability. We have found that most customers dont want the lowest price although its nice. They want 1) you to show up every week on the same day 2) they want you to do a good job (not a great job, but that helps) 3) a fair and reasonable price for services rendered. When we get a new customer that had a previous company, I make a point to find out why they called me, and what the other company did wrong. #1 answer is always that they came different days or not at all, or quit showing up, or cut at 7 am or 8pm, they even went as far to say they did a good job (when they showed up) so above all STRESS YOUR RELIABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with SheShovel. Never ever put prices on flyers. The first ones to call are the corner lots with miles of edging!