1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Passing out flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DK lawn care, Feb 11, 2008.

1. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

When do u guys recommend to start pashing out flyers?
  2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going to start passing out my 1,500 door hangers and hang up flyers in about two days. I think Ill run a newspaper ad for March also.
  3. DK lawn care

ok, do u think if i waited a week or two, thatd be to late? Also are u passin out ur flyers twice? And how many do u cust do u net with 1500 flyers?
  4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

500 post card on the 20th another batch three weeks later
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

DK - remember where you are from. steven is from Louisiana you are from Ohio - your timing on doing flyers may be different than his. You may want to wait for a reply from someone closer to where you live. (I am assuming you are advertising mowing service on your flyers)
  6. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

Being from Ohio too I wait till the beginning/mid march. Right now with the snow on the ground and more flying people wont be thinking about lawn care services. If you pass it out now 9/10 people are going to prolly just trash it or put it somewhere and forget about it. If you wait till it starts warming up some people will look at it and be more inclined to keep it on the fridge or give you a call. Just my 2 cents.

good luck
  7. Topcut_gardener

Topcut_gardener LawnSite Member

Brook, from my experience "the early bird gets the worm". So start early than later with flyers and mail drops and do it many times, regularly. Space repartiton counts. How many times do you see a tv ad before acting on it? Get your name out there. Be seen often!! If had 1000 flyers out there and if 900 replied, can you honestly be of true service to all of them straight away?
  8. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

ya... you prolly no more then me... i just know that i wouldnt look at lawncare stuff now if i was a home onwer/.....but wut do ik im only 15
  9. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

It definitly is a decision based on if your going after commercial or residentials. Here(ontario) the commercial tenders are already being filled and most of them started accepting tenders since December. With residentials we watch the weather and as soon as it looks like the snow is going to start melting then we start advertising(usually March), and it could be longer this year with the 2 foot of snow that we got now.
  10. DK lawn care

I was thinking about that. But thanks for the advice! its always helpful! Ill have to wait for someone to post from the cleveland area.