Passing out flyers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by VisionsLandscapes, Nov 6, 2008.

1. VisionsLandscapes

VisionsLandscapes LawnSite Member

Is the end of the season the best time to gain more clients for next season or would you guys say near feb or march next season? Or possibly both to double remind them???

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i dont pass out flyers but it seems like you would get better response right before the season starts. no one is really looking for lawn care in the winter and your flyer would probably just get thrown away.

3. VisionsLandscapes

but what about contracts? would it be a good idea to pass out flyers so people would ask for estimates before they sign their new contracts??

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would say right before the season would be better. People are not thinking about grass or anything like that now. They are getting ready for the cold. Just my opinion.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

My best flyer time is that first warm weekend in the spring. EVERYONE'S out in the yard gearing up. Phone will ring off the hook if you time it right.

6. VisionsLandscapes

i passed out 500 flyers last feb LATE around the 28-29th and i received 25 calls for extra work and i also received 4 full service accounts worth over $16,000 and about 4 regular mowing customers! I am planning on making some flyers ASAP passing them out in feb again to some high end places where i have never even passed them out at before. im thinking about making $1,000 this year because im wanting to pick up 12-20 lawns.

7. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

I think this is a great topic , I passed out some fliers on monday for clean-ups and got a call tuesday from some guy he left a nasty message sayin he was tired of people handing out fliers and he was giving me 48 hrs to come get them all or he was going to file a complaint. He said he was the president of his HOA, I didnt even know there were any HOA's in this area because all the houses were built in the 80's. Worst part was is didnt even tell me what street he was on and we passed them out in so many areas that night.

So what else do you guys do for advertising other than fliers I need some ideas for spring

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Screw him. There's always a griper. He has no legal grounds to complain, so don't let one butt munch ruin it for you.

I've done radio, local magazines, phone book, the Home & Garden Expo here, and flyers.

Pound for pound, nothing beats the flyers. The return rate on them is phenomenal! The Expo was killer good for me last year - but was a complete waste of money this year...

I cut out my other advertising and am actually going back to flyers b/c they're so much more effective for the style of service I offer.

9. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im passing out flyers right now just not for mowing. My flyers now say leaf removal,flowerbed renovation, shrub and hedge trimming/shaping, and lawn maintenance.
    Trying to get some money in my pocket during the cold weather and I will give eacha business card for lawn service when the time comes. I pass out the main flyers mid April-early May. I find that people dont start calling until it gets hot.

Whoopasson: Could you show a picture of your flyer? Mabey your design skills has something to do with your return rate.

10. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont mind me asking , What do you mean by the style of service you offer ? Yea I wasnt too worried about it , He said he was going to file a complaint for littering, I guess some peoples lifes suck so bad that they feel the need to make others miserable or something